Menu

Any suggestions for working with a Realtor

We're selling our house. Yes, during December. :glare:

I've never sold a house before. I barely remember buying this one 9 years ago.

I'd love to get a deal of some kind with the Realtor. I know NOTHING about "points" and don't know how low to ask a Realtor to go.

I have a killer background in marketing, am already putting together a nice blog on the house, posting on Craig's List etc. etc.

Any advice?

Alley

Okay, I worked in real estate for a year, and knew people who did it for much longer.

For selling your house, pick the company in your area that lists and sells the most houses. Find out who their top selling agent is. She/he will have a lot of connections. There is a REASON they sell the most houses. Go with them.

What will sell your house is ultimately the realtor and how good of a salesperson they are, their connections, and the infamous multi-list. Also, do NOT try to lower their commission. You will only be hurting your chances of selling your house, and in this market, you don't want to do that.

Now, if you were looking to buy a home, I'd give you some completely different advice. . .primarily because, realtors are also as a group *VERY* dishonest. I didn't realize how bad it was until I worked in real estate. And they know how to cover their backs.

Make sure your realtor posts a virtual tour. As someone who's in the market to buy, I get so frustrated when I come across a listing without one. There are a LOT of homes on the market right now and I'm not going to waste my time going to see each one in person. If you want me to come do a walk-through, then I need to be able to preview it online first.