Menu

do it yourself violin?

The music studio my daughters take lessons from (one on piano, one violin) is changing some policies etc that will make it too expensive for us. Both my husband and I took piano, so we feel comfortable carrying on lessons by ourselves with our piano student. Violin is a different matter though. She's about 1/2 way through the first Suzuki book. Any recommendations for great do it yourself violin? Is it possible? Recommended? She's only seven so even if we just finish off the year this way, it would give us time to find a new teacher later...

Thanks for any advice, suggestions you may have.

Hi,

We do Suzuki violin here... have done for quite a while.... I also take lessons (I'm now in Perpetual motion) along with my daughter... One question about the Piano: Is it Suzuki Piano as well? If so, I've include resources for Suzuki Piano below as well....

It requires lots of discipline and commitment (both parent and child).... But I think it can be done. We were without a teacher for a little while at one point - and having the resources below helped us to continue to go on...

Now, I homeschool my children, and I've played various instruments in the past... but I believe in the triangle connection Suzuki talks about that is fundamental to his method: Parent-Child-Teacher; so I do have a teacher for them....

Now, let me tell you what other families in our studio have done when in a similar situation:

The studio we go to has Weekly lessons and has group on Saturday.... The group lessons are of great importance to the student, it allows them to review the pieces, do continuous work on the pieces, improve their polish pieces, and ad the same time get inspire/motivated by what the "older/advance" kids are doing...

1) One family couldn't afford the weekly lessons with the instructor, so they spoke with the teacher and paid just for the group classes, and they do their individual work on their own... They miss that one-on-one interaction, and the guidance.. but they opted to do this because they believe that their children get so much out of those group classes.... the rest they make it up with master classes in the sumer institutes and weekend workshops...

2) Another family moved to the islands, and there are no Suzuki teachers where they are now, so what they do is they have a summer institute they go to religiously each summer (same institute or at least they try to follow a clinician around if their clinician is at another institute that summer) and they do 2 weekend workshops during the rest of the year... They take full advantage of the classes, and sing up for Master classes, I know one of the kids is older, so they pay for even an extra private master class with the clinician they followed, and at that time they work on a plan for the next year (next couple of months, etc).

Now for resources:

Violin:

- The Suzuki Violinist by William Star

This is what you need - it has all the Suzuki teaching points/techniques (book 1-10) and the teaching point and exercise for each song...

-Sharpen your tools by Jennifer Burton

Currently in print Volume 1 - future volumes to come

This is a practice companion for beginning and intermediate violin students to refine and polish techniques- covers pre-twinkle, book 1... Basically little exercises to improve tone, posture, hand, bow hold, etc... A great resource...

- Teaching form the Balance Point by Edward Kreitman

A good book - it has a lot of ideas about exercises, it comes technique, repertoire, also developing goo ear, and listening habits.

- Step by Step series by Kerstin Wartberg

Is an exercise book based on the Suzuki method, is divided into 1a, 1b 2a, 2b, and son on.. I think so far they've covered book 1, 2, and 3.. comes with a CD

Piano:

- Studying Suzuki Piano: More than Music by Carole L. Bigler & Valery Lloyd-Watts

Similar to the Star book above, but meant for Piano.

- How to tech Suzuki Piano byy Shinichi Suzuki

small book that lays down the principles fr the method in Suzuki's own words.

Hope this helps...

Kate

You might look at The Violin Book by Eden Vaning. I studied violin for 3 years and from what I have seen (we have books 0-2), they are very well done. You can also get some online instruction if you feel it is necessary.

OOhh.. Yes - I forgot those.... Sine we were talking Suzuki I completely forgot about these.. Thanks Aurelia!!!.. I have the Book o and the Book 1 from them.. is not Suzuki.. although they do have some song overlaps (twinkle,) but the focus is not the same (is not Suzuki Philosophy)... However... They are useful for extra exercises and just to get a different perspective or ideas to get the point across.... Teh book 0 is great for little ones learning to play (before they even have the violin): learning to listen for the beat, rhythm, to focus, etc..

Kate

I have not used any of these resources, but I do have a 5 year old son who's interested in learning the violin so I have researched violin self-instruction. Most people would tell you that you can learn really bad habits by not learning violin from an instructor, though:

http://www.videoviolinlessons.com/ has DVDs of violin lessons, starting at the beginning level.

Progressive Violin Method for Young Beginners by Peter Gelling comes with a book and CD but does not have a DVD (unlike others in the series) so cannot really be used for self-instruction.

http://www.gdaemusic.com/ is an alternative to the Suzuki method for young children, where they learn to both read music and play violin at the same time. It is not meant for self-instruction, though.

Colourstrings is a method used in Europe for teaching the violin, based on the Kodaly method. Some instructors here in the US use it too. Again, not for self instruction.

The music studio my daughters take lessons from (one on piano, one violin) is changing some policies etc that will make it too expensive for us. Both my husband and I took piano, so we feel comfortable carrying on lessons by ourselves with our piano student. Violin is a different matter though. She's about 1/2 way through the first Suzuki book. Any recommendations for great do it yourself violin? Is it possible? Recommended? She's only seven so even if we just finish off the year this way, it would give us time to find a new teacher later...

Thanks for any advice, suggestions you may have.

No-it is not a good idea. I'd recommend dropping it until you can afford lessons again.

Holly

I would try to work out a special payment plan and/or special lessons (twice a month or every other week, weekly payments instead of monthly, etc.) with the current studio or a different teacher altogether. (I grew up in a very poor home, and so most of my lessons were taken every other week, since my parents could barely afford them. My parents were, however, very consistent about the lessons I did have, and insisted on good practice, and that made all the difference in the world.)

I also believe that a bad teacher can be more damaging than no teacher at all. Maybe just taking a break from it for a few months might be ok with you? The skills she has gained cannot be entirely lost, but bad habits formed in just a few months can take years to unravel, even with a great teacher.

One of the suggestions above "The Violin Book" looks very well put together. If you are musical naturally, and have a very good sense of correct position from the lessons already learned, you could expose her to another curriculum like this, and just work on note reading and other general music ideas while waiting for another Suzuki teacher. I wouldn't try going on in Suzuki without a teacher, since there is just way too many specific techniques that need to be addressed for the specific pieces.

Just two cents from a long-time Suzuki violin instructor.:001_smile:

I've played the piano for over 40 years and picked up the violin in January. I think it can be done, although I could make an argument for younger children learning with someone who knows what they are doing, helping them to maintain the correct form, etc. If you can be that person for your child, then I'd recommend this site:

http://www.toddehle.com/id69.html

He really instructs violin teachers rather than students, but he takes it one step at a time so that you can work on the lesson until you get it, and then move on to the next thing. I find him very thoughtful and thorough. Hope this will help you!

Lea

I play the violin and I have some thoughts on this. Obviously, you have musical experience so that you already know how to read music, dynamics and so forth, right? If so, I think it might be possible with some expert advice every so often.

Technique is very important in the violin. If a person is not holding the bow or violin correctly, then he or she will not be able to play the harder songs. It is very important to learn how to hold the bow correctly, it is not easy to re-learn how to hold a bow when the songs get harder.

I would go and explain your situation to the music school. I would attend a lesson with your dd, and have the teacher re-explain exactly how to hold a violin and bow (so that you know) Everything is about practice. Just because a child takes lessons doesn't mean she is going to have good technique. It is about how much they put into it at home.

Suzuki Book 1 takes a big jump in difficulty at the later end. The Bach minuets, The Happy Farmer, and Gavotte are much more difficult than the beginner songs. Actually, in Book 2 they take a step back and go back to some easier songs in the beginning.

It might be a good idea to keep some lessons, (once a month?) Then you can get advice on the things you need, and teach her how to play notes, dynamics, rhythm yourself. With the bow it can be tricky. Sometimes you have to move the bow fast to get back towards the frog to play a long, slow note. Sometimes it is hard for beginners to know how to play piano without sounding whispery. The Happy Farmer song in Suzuki 1 can sound quite distressed even if a child does take lessons. If you attend the lessons with her, then you can learn what it takes and help her at home. Lessons are not the end all be all. A person has to take that knowledge and practice it.

So, my advice is to attend a lesson with her once a month, and then help her at home yourself. Moms can be a huge resource if they have musical knowledge.

Hope this helps