Menu

Favorite Leapfrog (or other similar) DVDs?

profmom

The Talking Letter Factory is great for letter sounds. The Talk Word Factory is the best thing ever for cvc word blending. Likewise, the Talking Word Factory 2 is awesome for Silent E and a bit more blending. Beyond that, I didn't feel that the videos were as good. The first three are the best phonics videos around. I wasn't really impressed with the math or the story factory, although my kids did like the story factory.

My 3yo's favorite is the Math Circus, but he also likes the Talking Word Factory, in addition to the Letter Factory. The Storybook Factory doesn't quite hold his attention the way the others do. He likes the songs and the animation, and the educational aspects are incidental. I'm not familiar with any of the other DVDs, since the ones I own I bought when my 8yo ds was a preschooler. :)

He also LOVE-LOVE-LOVES the PBS series "Super Why" which is another literacy focused program.

It is not leap frog, but even better IMHO than leap frog:) I recommend watching Between the Lions from PBS daily. I can also be found online at pbs.org, Discovery Education United Streaming, and many libraries carry the DVDs. I had my son watch from 3- 6ish daily and of course read to him daily. I also recommend closed captioning on the TV. Now my son is a fabulous reader and I think those things helped.

My DD, 4.5, loves Let's Go to School (I haven't watched it, just listened to it, so I don't know how "school" is portrayed, and don't know if you want to show a video about "school"). She has learned the months of the year through their song. She'll pick that over Letter Factory and Talking Word Factory. They also count and talk about animals. Lots of songs.

ETA - she is waiting for Math Adventure to the Moon to come out.

The Talking Letter Factory is great for letter sounds. The Talk Word Factory is the best thing ever for cvc word blending. Likewise, the Talking Word Factory 2 is awesome for Silent E and a bit more blending. Beyond that, I didn't feel that the videos were as good. The first three are the best phonics videos around. I wasn't really impressed with the math or the story factory, although my kids did like the story factory.

:iagree:The first three were the best.

The Letter Factory and the Word Factory are the big hits at our house. Code Word Capers is also good. the Math Circus DVD is good if you have a child who needs help solidifying math concepts. Those Leapfrog DVDs taught my DD all her letter sounds before she was 3. (And then I had a 3-year old begging to learn to read more!) LOL!