Menu

Vitamin D, how much is too much?

I have my 4 and 6 yo on 1000 IU/day and my middle kids on 2000IU/Day with the teens and up on 4000 IU/day. I am wondering if these doses are too high? Googling brings up way too much info and most of it is conflictng. Do you think at these levels it could cause overdose?

Edited by Quiver0f10

I am no expert, but I did read at the Vitamin D Council website that they recommend 1,000 IUD's a day per 25lbs of weight.

I am currently giving my 2 year old 1,000 IUD's a day.

My 7 and 8 year olds are getting 5,0000 IUD's every other day (we bought the 5,000 IUD pills because my husband and I were getting tired of the amount of vitamins we were popping AND the 5,000's we got are smaller and therefore easier for the kids to swallow.

We are both taking 10,000 IUD's per day for the winter. The 10,000 IUD's per day was recommended to us to get our D levels up to where they should be, we were both low. Once we get up to the right level, we will reduce the supplement to 1,000 IUD's per 25lbs of weight.

I got this info from Dr. Sherri Tenpenny's website: http://drtenpenny.com/Documents/Vitamin%20D%20and%20You.pdf

"Animal data suggest that toxicity can occur by the ingestion of 0.5 mg/kg (20,000 IU per kg). That would be equivalent to a 110-pound adult taking 176,000,000 IU or 440,000 of the 400IU capsules, hardly a possibility, even in an intentional overdose. Dr. Vieth agreed that long term, daily consumption of approximately 40,000 IU/day (100 of the 400 IU capsules) can result in toxicity reflected in blood levels >200ng/mL. The Vitamin Council offers this great quote, “Living in America today while worrying about vitamin D toxicity is like dying of thirst in the desert while worrying about drowning.†REF: The Truth about Vitamin D Toxicity. www.VitaminDCouncil.org.

Should some persons be cautious taking Vitamin D?

Like any medicine, supplement or activity, some persons can have a reaction to too much of a good thing. Persons with hyperparathyroidism, and conditions such as sarcoidosis, granulomatous TB, and some cancers (specifically, oat cell carcinoma of the lung and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma) should not take vitamin D except when under the care of a knowledgeable physician who regularly monitors your blood levels of 25-OH vitamin D.

For that reason, while rare, persons over 60 years of age or those with undiagnosed health problems should consult a knowledgeable physician before adding vitamin D to a daily supplement program.

The greater question is: who told you they needed supplementation?

I mean, did you have a baseline vit D level drawn and determine that they were deficient?

My last endo had me taking 10,000 iu a week, but that was based on my test results. And that level was considered absurdly high in terms of supplementation.

a

The greater question is: who told you they needed supplementation?

I mean, did you have a baseline vit D level drawn and determine that they were deficient?

My last endo had me taking 10,000 iu a week, but that was based on my test results. And that level was considered absurdly high in terms of supplementation.

a

No one told me they needed it, but I wanted to up our Vit d during flu season.

Really?!? By whose standards? 14,000iu a week wasn't really coming close to bringing me out of deficiency. Now I take 6,000iu a day.

I have my 4 and 6 yo on 1000 IU/day and my middle kids on 2000IU/Day with the teens and up on 4000 IU/day. I am wondering if these doses are too high? Googling brings up way too much info and most of it is conflictng. Do you think at these levels it could cause overdose?

I don't think the amounts you are talking about are a problem, but there is such a thing as too much:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001594.htm