Menu

Rewards vs. Megawords - Reviews???

Cynful

My son is still having trouble reading longer, multisyllabic words. He has learning delays and, most likely, dyslexia.

Which of these programs would work best for us? Or are they both vastly different? Any information would be great.

Thanks,

Cynthia, my 13 year old son is dyslexic. We have used REWARDS and are currently using Megawords.

REWARDS is a short, but HIGHLY effective way to improve reading skills. We used both REWARDS Intermediate and then the last half of Secondary. There are 20-25 lessons, so it can be done quickly. Ds went from a 3-4th grade reading level to a 6th. Amazing. In conjunction with this program, I had ds read from the Blend Phonics Reader (with a notched card for the first week or two) and we reviewed phonogram cards daily for several months. The combination was wonderful (remember dyslexics need LOTS of repetition).

We are currently using Megawords (and Spelling Through Morphographs) for spelling. I can see how Megawords is used for reading, but that happens to be a side benefit for us. It is mainly for spelling here. But, with that said, all of this word work is helping ds look at words differently and tackle them differently.

Any more questions, ask away. There is so much to know when dealing with a dyslexic. ;)

So it sounds like both might be worth it. I'm right in the middle of Saxon Intervention with him and it does help. He needs the constant repetition and the review cards from it are good. I think maybe we'll finish that and then go on to REWARDS. Or would it be better to just switch over to REWARDS now? Then after go on to Megawords.

So it sounds like both might be worth it. I'm right in the middle of Saxon Intervention with him and it does help. He needs the constant repetition and the review cards from it are good. I think maybe we'll finish that and then go on to REWARDS. Or would it be better to just switch over to REWARDS now? Then after go on to Megawords.

I'm not familiar with Saxon. Sorry. When will you be finished with it?

REWARDS has only glowing reviews; I'd be tempted to do that. And it only takes a few weeks. Your son will be much more confident.

It is not a cheap program. Maybe that will factor in to your decision.

I would do REWARDS first, then Megawords. I would also recommend Spelling Through Morphographs or Apples and Pears if he has spelling issues.

How does he write? How about Math?

Spelling is not a good subject for him. Math is ok. He likes math but it takes a lot of work for him to first understand it and then alot for him to memorize it. We play alot of games and do flash cards (which he likes) in order to cement those facts.

Writing, too, he hates. Unless he's in his room doing his own thing. Which I don't mind except that once he misspells a word once, it takes forever to undo that memory. Same with any grammar mistakes he might make on his own.

He would absolutely love school if I could read every subject to him all day long. He loves to listen and loves historical documentaries. He really learns and retains everything this way too. It's hard to teach math, reading and writing this way though. ;)

I'm going to go ahead and purchase REWARDS now and I'll look over it to see if I should start it now or wait until Saxon Intervention is over. It will be about 1-2 months, I'm guessing, until we are finished. I'm sure once I see it, I'll be able to tell more.

Thanks for your replies,