Menu

s/o: Prayers for NH homeschoolers, please? - Thank you!

Thanks to all those who prayed for our state House Education Committee -- the homeschool community got what we wanted -- a recommendation from the committee to the full house that this bill is inexpedient to legislate (ITL). I do not know if other states use this system, but basically, the committee's recommendation is to advise the entire house that a bill ought to pass (OTP) and become law or not (ITL). Usually, the full house votes in agreement with the committee's recommendation.

If anyone is interested: two amendments were made to the original bill (the original bill said something like, "parents will acknowledge in their letter of intent to follow the law"). One added the word "written" to the kind of notification that must be given to notify a homeschool program is beginning. This is a fairly benign addition that I do not personally disagree with; however, once you open your law for a small change anything can happen on the floor! The other amendment would've changed our evaluation requirements and given the Department of Education more leeway to do what they might want; Many of the legislators were leary (thankfully) to give carte blanche to a govermental executive branch .

While we're not fully out of the woods, God is good and I know his hand was in this (shocking) turn of events.

I wish I had a bottle of champagne tonight! I think I'm going to have to be content with the 4 oz. plastic, screw-top bottle of "wine" that is in my fridge! At least is is chilled....