Menu

Would you store this candy in the refrigerator or not??

I am currently soaking some dried cherries in some cherry brandy overnight in the fridge so I can try out a new recipe, "Brandied Cherry Balls" tomorrow. The filling has the dried cherries (drained), 2 tsp of the brandy that the cherries were soaked in, 1 Tbs butter, a box of powdered sugar, and three ounces of cream cheese. You mix all that up and then roll into balls and let 'em firm up in the refrigerator. Then you dip 'em in chocolate. The recipe says to "chill until set." Do you think these should be stored in the frig b/c of the cream cheese???? My mil makes Italian Creme Cake with cream cheese frosting which she leaves on the counter, which always worries me to no end from a food safety standpoint. But, will the chocolate get "sweaty" in the fridge. What do you think? Store in refrigerator or on the counter?

Maybe they'll be so good I will just eat them all at one sitting so it won't matter. :D

I wouldn't be particularly worried about spoilage, but I would be concerned about them becoming too soft if stored out of the fridge in a warm room.

Does the fact that brownies have eggs in them weird you out about them being on the counter? I'm just curious why people are so freaked out by cream cheese. :D Unless it's dry and crusty or moldy, I don't think cream cheese actually goes bad. Isn't it cultured?

ETA: I totally vote for the precaution of eating them all at once, though. And then I'll try it, if you post the recipe. I'm just selfless like that, though.;)

I am currently soaking some dried cherries in some cherry brandy overnight in the fridge so I can try out a new recipe, "Brandied Cherry Balls" tomorrow. The filling has the dried cherries (drained), 2 tsp of the brandy that the cherries were soaked in, 1 Tbs butter, a box of powdered sugar, and three ounces of cream cheese. You mix all that up and then roll into balls and let 'em firm up in the refrigerator. Then you dip 'em in chocolate. The recipe says to "chill until set." Do you think these should be stored in the frig b/c of the cream cheese???? My mil makes Italian Creme Cake with cream cheese frosting which she leaves on the counter, which always worries me to no end from a food safety standpoint. But, will the chocolate get "sweaty" in the fridge. What do you think? Store in refrigerator or on the counter?

Maybe they'll be so good I will just eat them all at one sitting so it won't matter. :D

I used to make a similar recipe, but there was no cream cheese in it. I used fondant to cover the brandy soaked cherries, then dipped in chocolate. The brandy caused the fondant to liquify and storing them in the fridge would ruin that process. I'm not sure if your centers will liquify but I bet they'll get softer after setting. I would not worry about letting them sit out, that brandy & sugar encased in chocolate will keep it from spoiling.