Menu

Tell me more about FLL and WWE

lovinmomma

I'm looking for something that will give us good suggestions for recitations. I'm really not in to copywork, because we use SWR, which does not encourage copywork. However, I wouldn't mind it if it was something simple such as writing their names, addresses, phone numbers, etc. Light grammar would be fine, too. Does that fit into either of the above mentioned books?

I agree. WWE would definitely not work for your needs/goals. FLL sounds like it might be a good fit, however. (At least the first book, which is designed for grades 1-2.) FLL has light grammar, poetry memorization, occasional narrations and picture study, and the copywork is mostly optional. The copywork during lessons is names, addresses, pronouns, like you mentioned.

The copywork is very light and optional in FLL 1/2. Months of the year, date, address and phone number. It also usually goes with a picture. For instance, a few weeks ago we did the seasons thing where the copy work was something like: write the season and the 3 months that go with that season then draw a picture of things you do in that season. Very simple. You could even have the words written out, they cut them out and paste them with the right season, and draw a picture if you wanted to do the lesson without the copywork.

Sometimes, the optional thing is to write the months of the year or something. If my son has done too much handwriting already that day, I just have them written out on slips of paper, I mix them up and he puts them in the right order and reads them back to me.

I love the way grammar is introduced in FLL and the lessons are very flexible.