Menu

Gift Ideas for 4yo Artist/Writer?

My DD is EXACTLY like yours. She can spend hours making things with scissors and drawing. I think it is a great thing to support, so I'm doing several things.

For one, I'm getting her this: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2504249 (It is on sale right now too!)

For two, I'm making her a "craft box." I've already started collecting things. I found some $1 crafts at Michaels to put in there. I'm putting a lot of tape in there (she LOVES tape and can seriously go through some tape). I got some paint markers from Crayola. And I purchased these to put in there:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3088021

http://www.melissaanddoug.com/dyn_prod.php?p=3345&k=86040&name=Dinosaurs%20-%20Paint%20by%20Numbers

Real stuff. Give her real supplies from the art or craft type stores. You can usually find coupons for 40% off. Nothing frustrated my girls more (when they were little) than kits from Rose-Art or toy-quality supplies (didn't work, broke too soon, etc.)

A nice box with scrap papers in different colors, stickers, a good pair of scissors (only you know if this is age appropriate) and some nice markers, pencils, etc.

I had one child who would use adult supplies responsibly, careful with scissors, never wrote on walls or furniture. The other one needed washable supplies and NO scissors. :001_smile:

Have fun

Real stuff. Give her real supplies from the art or craft type stores. You can usually find coupons for 40% off. Nothing frustrated my girls more (when they were little) than kits from Rose-Art or toy-quality supplies (didn't work, broke too soon, etc.)

A nice box with scrap papers in different colors, stickers, a good pair of scissors (only you know if this is age appropriate) and some nice markers, pencils, etc.

I had one child who would use adult supplies responsibly, careful with scissors, never wrote on walls or furniture. The other one needed washable supplies and NO scissors. :001_smile:

Have fun

I agree.....don't do Rose Art. The quality really stinks. I have researched art kits for months. The Masterworks kit is the only one I've come across that gets excellent reviews.

My dd LOVED those cloth bound blank books (unruled) for drawing in. There are large ones and smaller journal sized ones. They have them in the art supplies at craft/art stores and they usually have some of the small ones on sale at bookstores near the journals.

The Dollar Store has some interesting paper packs for scrapbooking and such- I bought them for craft projects.

You can buy those individual sheets of scrapbook paper at Michael's and such places. Some BIG construction paper, some regular sized construction paper, some blank card stock (white and colors), you can get packages of one solid color of construction paper at teacher supply stores. Oh, some skin tone color pencils are wonderful too.

When oldest was that age she LOVED the gel pens, we always bought one of those huge containers of them from Sam's club at Christmas time.

I have a child like this :) for her birthday this year we gave her an "area" ... it's just a small rectangle rug and a kid-sized wood table with two chairs. I have it pushed up against a wall so it's like an art desk (but easily moved out when friends come over). The large surface is ideal, she can be free with the glue and markers because I don't care if her tabletop gets icky and colored on. It's in the heart of our house, nearby her brother's schooling area and the kitchen.

We keep a roll of paper on the top, and her "most used" irregular-shaped items (scissors, glues, fabrics) towards the back of the desk; we also have a small shelf hanging on the wall above the table that stores jars with her writing supplies. I found an over-the-seat pouch (like private schools use in the lower grades) that fits over her chair decently, and holds more supplies (paper). It's her own little area, and she takes great pride in it -- and even in keeping it tidy, surprisingly enough for her!

It's our little take on a "room of her own" :)

If she can manage them: paper punches, and scissors that cut simple edges, like zig zags or curves. We enjoy the Fiskars circle squeeze punch. It takes very little effort to squeeze (a 4-year-old could do it) and you can punch circles out of anything - magazine pages, scrapbook paper, vintage books, etc - and paste them on to other things.

Another enjoyable art supply here has been a Xyron sticker maker. You can take anything made of paper (such as the circles you cut out with the punch above), put them through (with a satisfying turn of the little crank) and they come out the other end with adhesive on the back. The only downside to this is that if your dd went nuts with it and made TONS of stickers, you'd have to keep buying the refills. But it could be worth it. :tongue_smilie: