Menu

Writing with Ease question

Blessed with seven

Okay..can you use WWE if you have not used FLL? I just want a beginning writing program, we don't push grammar until later but I don't know if this would work? I am confused about WWE, what it is and where you start, I have read posts about it but for some reason it isn't sticking in my brain. Is it just copywork and narration? That would be great if it is, I have always wanted to incorporate that but haven't. Also..I would love step by step, day by day, instructions, not something that gives an overview for the week or whatever.

Thanks!!

Kim

They are totally separate. Buy the text for WWE and the workbook for the level of your child. If you have a beginner, just go ahead and start workbook 1. I'd recommend going to the Peace Hill Press website and looking at the samples to get a better grasp. You actually don't need the workbooks at all if you are comfortable with finding passages for narration and copywork yourself based on the guidance in the text. I personally like that SWB has done the work for me. We are in workbook one. I had the binding cut off, spiral bound the teacher pages and 3 hole punched the student pages (at Office Max), and they reside in my dd's language arts binder until we use them. Also, SWB talked about this philosophy of teaching writing at the Midwest Homeschool Convention, and I think you can buy a CD of that talk on the Peace Hill Press website; it was really a good session that is basically what is in the WWE text.

Thank you for the info...what if I have older girls who have not done a "formal" writing program, going into HS? What would you recommend? IEW? I am assuming SWB's program would not work for them?

I can't see using WWE (any of the levels 1-4) past elementary school, even at the upper levels. It's a very gentle program for teaching basic writing skills through about a 4th grade level... The only time I might consider it for a middle school aged student would be while trying to remediate a learning disability. IEW might be a good option... Some people seem to like Bravewriter for students who haven't done much writing previously.

As to your original question, it's true that you don't need to be doing FLL alongside WWE. Although FLL is so very gentle, I wouldn't consider it "pushing" grammar either. And a student would need to work on basic capitalization and punctuation in order to be successful with WWE.

Edited by abbeyej