Menu

Loops and Other Groups Cursive

Rosie_0801

I've never seen this before, but I can say that breaking the lowercase letters into four different groups is similar to the concept (based on the clock face) taught in Cursive First... clock letters, uphill letters, loop letters and hump letters. We used CF and it worked great for us!

:001_smile:

BTW... Cursive First is only $15.00 and it's reproducible! Here are a few more links...

Cursive First: An Introduction to Cursive Penmanship

Order Cursive First here or here

Edited by CMama

At my place, we do what I want, but I assumed you were asking about the usual sequence in my country? :D It's the same as the US, you start the kids printing then just as they are getting the hang of it, you switch them to cursive and bungle things up. Well, there are Australians with good handwriting so obviously it doesn't bungle everyone. I went through about 4 different styles of handwriting when learning to write, and ended up with shoddy handwriting, so I want to start with one and stick to it. There seems to be way more interesting things to do than teach the same kid to write more than once, and the cursive first arguments sound sensible to me. I wish I could find a comparison of programs, but there doesn't seem to be one online. I want one with a style of font I like! Anyway, if there is no fantastic reason to spend $99 instead of $15, I would rather spend the $15!!

Rosie

Hey Rosie,

Over hear (WA) they start Cursive in Kinder. It isn't joined up though and they do the open b and p just to keep the kids on their toes. I think they start joining around year 3.

How about that! Do you mean kinder, or prep? Which programme? What did you decide to do with your kidlets?

Rosie

Well, i guess they start learning in Prep formally but it is modeled in Kinder and i know several kiddos in Kinder who are writing their names from the teachers model in cursive. I think they are using the Victorian Cursive workbooks which you can get locally from teacher/school supply shops.

For us we are going with manuscript to begin with. I don't like the open b & p of the Vic cursive. I like them to write in a similar way to what they will read on the page. Plenty of parents with PS kids have been commenting on their childs apparent confusion when learning to read because they don't recognise some of the letters because cursive is used so extensively by the teachers, even on worksheets, posters in the classroom etc.

I will introduce cursive at some point but something with a more traditional look and we will join from the outset, maybe around 8yo. I am not sure what font we will go with yet.

Well, here there is a return back to cursive.... it's better developmentally and supported by the fact that you usually go back to the 1st way you learn... Printing is taught, by those who believe Cursive First, around the time you do Mapping.

Cursive was taught first here, until about the time phonics was given up..... Also, it's about the time that there is so much to learn... and development jumps.. and then the big "cursive" thing is introduced.

The book, Cursive First makes incredibly good arguments for cursive.... and I think Don Potter?? has free info on the internet about why it's best.

Carrie:-)