Menu

MCT question... who does well with this?

happygrrl

What sorts of kids thrive with MCT? I would have *loved* this program as a child! I was gifted though (was? have to think about that! ha!) and my kids are not. I am concerned that because *I* am starting to love it I might miss that this is actually for them, and has to fit them. Make sense?

Would you throw out some adjectives of the children this would work for? Must they be gifted?

Thanks!

(My eyes are bleary from reading all the MCT posts! Perhaps it will make more sense in the morning with my coffee. :))

Hmmm. Tough question to answer without coffee. I can only answer for my ds who is 11. Gifted? I don't really know. He is my least literature-oriented child. He prefers to read nonfiction over historical fiction. Yet he loves mythology and poetry, even though he's still very literal. He doesn't need a lot of explanation for new concepts. Oh, and he's a bit weird in that he'll tend to choose the more difficult thing to do especially if few of his peers are doing it. He's quirky and MCT engages and challenges him. I don't know if this helps. I know I'm repeating myself but it's some of the best money I've spent on curriculum.

One point, I think choosing MCT has something to do with the parent who will be implementing it. If you have very set ideas of what a LA program should look like, it may not be the right curriculum. I think you have to be able to bend and flow a bit and not panic.:tongue_smilie:

(I almost didn't recognize you with your new avatar!:D)

No, kids do NOT need to be gifted to get everything they need out of the program.

I think that the point of it being labeled as something good for the gifted has more to do with how it is presented. I think that most kids can benefit from doing "gifted material" in most subjects. It is just written from a *slightly* different perspective and tends to not have much repetition.

If YOU really get it an enjoy it, I don't see why your kids won't. If they are able to do the practice sentences, and discuss the material with you... it is working. I think that how YOU feel about a program is just as important as how your kids do. You are teaching it... it needs to resonate with you at some point to teach it well. Besides, I don't know any kids that get "excited" about a LA or math program.

I think that you love it is a good sign. My kids don't particularly care for CE (my personal fave) but I can see it's influence everyday in my kid's new found desire to explore more advanced vocabulary in their day to day lives. "This dinner is repugnant!" I would never have heard that w/o MCT. :D

I think most, even all, kids will benefit from it, it is more of a parent issue. If the parent can't wrap their mind around how different it is, it will probably fail. I think that parents who were gifted kids are the ones who get the most giddy when they see it...

No, I don't think kids have to be gifted to use this (that was one of my big questions before I bought it :001_smile:). I do agree with the PPs that it has to appeal to the parent in order for it to be implemented well. This reminds me a bit of Singapore - I've read many posts from people who say they don't "get" Singapore and it's some weird, convoluted way of doing math - and of course it's not working well for them. When I got Singapore, it was a breath of fresh air, and it seems completely intuitive to me what they're getting at (even if it's not something I would've come up with on my own - my response is "oh, that's brilliant!") - so it's working for us.

My kids are quite bright, but I wouldn't say gifted. They are using MCT quite happily. I did put them down a level to start (they're 6th grade in Town), but it's only because jumping into Voyage level seemed too much (there seems to be a big jump between levels) - I'm sure they could've handled Town last year, too, if we'd started MCT then. We may get to Voyage mid-year, but I'm not pushing it. Even if we don't start Voyage till next year, we'll get to the 1st level of Magic Lens by 7th.

One point, I think choosing MCT has something to do with the parent who will be implementing it. If you have very set ideas of what a LA program should look like, it may not be the right curriculum. I think you have to be able to bend and flow a bit and not panic.:tongue_smilie:

I think that how YOU feel about a program is just as important as how your kids do. You are teaching it... it needs to resonate with you at some point to teach it well.

. I do agree with the PPs that it has to appeal to the parent in order for it to be implemented well.

Thank you so much! This has been my personal experience as well. When I am engaged the kids are engaged. When I am ambivalent, the material often gets pushed to the end of the day (or worse ;)). I am thrilled that there is secondary material available. We are currently doing R&S, and while they are doing well with it no one is really excited about continuing. We just finished a level and I keep putting off starting the next... a sure sign that something needs to happen!

(I almost didn't recognize you with your new avatar!:D)

I would change it every week if I could! I just don't want to confuse people. I tend to "recognize" people by their signatures or location, so I would love people to play around with their avatars. It's like rearranging the furniture without the need for extra dusting!

Thank you so much! This has been my personal experience as well. When I am engaged the kids are engaged. When I am ambivalent, the material often gets pushed to the end of the day (or worse ;)). I am thrilled that there is secondary material available. We are currently doing R&S, and while they are doing well with it no one is really excited about continuing. We just finished a level and I keep putting off starting the next... a sure sign that something needs to happen!

I noticed this in the public schools, too. If a teacher was teaching the way she taught best, then the class worked, even if the teaching style wasn't at all what I would have chosen for my child (not all schools allowed you to choose).

Julie

No, kids do NOT need to be gifted to get everything they need out of the program.

I think that the point of it being labeled as something good for the gifted has more to do with how it is presented. I think that most kids can benefit from doing "gifted material" in most subjects. It is just written from a *slightly* different perspective and tends to not have much repetition.

If YOU really get it an enjoy it, I don't see why your kids won't. If they are able to do the practice sentences, and discuss the material with you... it is working. I think that how YOU feel about a program is just as important as how your kids do. You are teaching it... it needs to resonate with you at some point to teach it well. Besides, I don't know any kids that get "excited" about a LA or math program.

I think that you love it is a good sign. My kids don't particularly care for CE (my personal fave) but I can see it's influence everyday in my kid's new found desire to explore more advanced vocabulary in their day to day lives. "This dinner is repugnant!" I would never have heard that w/o MCT. :D

I think most, even all, kids will benefit from it, it is more of a parent issue. If the parent can't wrap their mind around how different it is, it will probably fail. I think that parents who were gifted kids are the ones who get the most giddy when they see it...

Korin, I think we ought to make a disclaimer out of your post and slap it on all the MCT threads.:D I would encourage anyone interested in MCT to read as many of the threads as you can. Dont' just look at what's written. Who is doing the posting? Do you recognize them as posters with similar interests, education goals, etc. that you can relate to. When I first heard about MCT, I was intrigued not only by what was being said, but by who was doing the talking. I trusted their judgment. In some cases I knew praise for a program didn't come easily or often, so MCT was special.

Spycar said something the other day about MCT and "shivers up his spine." That about sums it up for me.

Korin, I think we ought to make a disclaimer out of your post and slap it on all the MCT threads.:D I would encourage anyone interested in MCT to read as many of the threads as you can. Dont' just look at what's written. Who is doing the posting? Do you recognize them as posters with similar interests, education goals, etc. that you can relate to. When I first heard about MCT, I was intrigued not only by what was being said, but by who was doing the talking. I trusted their judgment. In some cases I knew praise for a program didn't come easily or often, so MCT was special.

Spycar said something the other day about MCT and "shivers up his spine." That about sums it up for me.

Ex-ACT-ly. I have my certain posters that I stalk :coolgleamA:. I have been stretched to think of much that I would not have on my own, MCT being an excellent example. Even though our kids are different, we seem to have similar tastes. I do worry though (in those late-night-bottle-of-wine-WTM-board-binges) that I get excited about things that are more geared to who I *want* the kids to be vs. who they *are* (i.e. different than me). I appreciate all the generous help you give in explaining these things for the umpteenth time!

With a full heart- Lisa

Both ds and I have systematic and logical mind, and MCT material just makes so much more sense to us than any other grammar programs we've seen and tried.

Mr. Thompson's enthusiam is contagious and hard to miss. He has a way with words and language that even my then 8-year-old ds recognized that "he is very clever with words and these books are very unique." I am very happy that I've found a LA program that I can stick with for long term much like how we used Singpore Math in the past!

Thanks guys!:grouphug:

I just can't ever help myself when people ask about MCT.. not just because I think it is awesome, but because I know how hard it is for a LOT of people to "get", especially if they only look at the sample pages.

I look at some curriculum and I want to scream. Seriously. I think to myself, well everyone says how this program is great but.... it doesn't matter how great it is, I can't look at this layout on the page, the font, the digging through the unnecessary to find the gold. I have spent ALL of my HS journey searching for the holy grail of curriculum, and so far... I have realized that it does not exist. MCT is the closest I have come. I look at it and say, well, if this had been around when I was a kid I would've gotten my 3rd Pulitzer or Newbery by now. I would have enjoyed poetry, I might not have been a complete slacker because I found such little actual value in my "excellent private school education". It resonates.

I also have employed this tactic of looking at what different people who like something that I have found a "gem" and paying attention to other things they like. It is through this (on a totally different list) that I discovered MCT. It is how I have found ALL the curriculum we like. If they love something you love, you might be looking for similar things. See, I am a singapore person, too. I think that there are a few curriculum that don't have the standard hand holding factor (Singapore & MCT are good examples) and if you aren't secure with that, it could be scary. I still can't believe, frugal person that I am, that I bought the whole grammar island level after watching it be discussed on that list, and looking at the 2 sample pages of one book. I just said "Oh oh OH OH!" and bought it.

I have been happy.

I did need that after being slapped down for not explaining myself well on a different thread. :tongue_smilie:

I also have employed this tactic of looking at what different people who like something that I have found a "gem" and paying attention to other things they like.

I did need that after being slapped down for not explaining myself well on a different thread. :tongue_smilie:

:grouphug:

I think I was one of the people who got, um, wordy, after something you posted elswehere, and after you said you'd felt like you hadn't explained yourself well and felt bad, I've been meaning to PM you that:

- When I responded I didn't even notice who had written the original - 'twas just a topic that gets me all hot & bothered - was in no way meant to be aimed at you

- And when you responded again and I realized it was you, I wanted to reassure you that I find you to have great depth, wisdom, and discernment which are manifest in the sublime curriuculum choices you have made (ie very many of the same ones I have ;)).

And you (and everyone else :tongue_smilie:) are allowed to have opinions that differ from mine without affecting how I feel about that. :001_smile:

You are one of the people here whose opinions I respect. :) If you (and coincidentally many of the others posting on this thread) say you like something, I pay attention. :D