Menu

Latin for me

mo2

Oh, no problem. I was just directing you back to those threads because we had just discussed this, and I didn't want you to think no one was interested in your question. Sometimes when questions get posted close together, the second inquiry doesn't get as much response as the original.

Please feel free to ask questions about any Latin program; chances are that someone here has used it or is using it. Here's another link which lists many (but not all) of the Latin programs that are available: http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/latincurricula.htm

I think Wheelock is really easy, thorough, & straightforward. It's pretty much the standard for intro college classes, so there's a lot of material made to supplement if you need/want it.

I didn't know you liked Wheelock's too! Did you use it in college or are you going through it now? I started last spring, and I'm on Chapter 6; things slowed up a bit when I hit all of the different verb forms.

If I wanted to learn Latin ahead of my children, what program would you recommend? I have absolutely NO Latin exposure.

Do you have an idea of what you will be using with your dc? That might influence your choice.

I have been suggesting a combination of Henle and Lingua Latina by Hans Oerberg. Henle will focus on the grammar, and LL will focus on the application and reading. I used Henle exclusively for a while, but was having trouble with the strict grammar/translation approach in Henle, so I began using LL, and things became much clearer to me. I find a majority of people prefer the g/t approach with supplemental reading.

If you wanted to do something like that, pick up Henle first, and do the first several lessons. Once you've done that, you can begin daily readings in Lingua Latina. Stop moving further in LL when you hit grammar that you have not yet covered in Henle. Just keep re-reading the stories in LL. Believe me, it will keep you busy for a while. :001_smile: Keep progressing in Henle, and move to the next chapter in LL when you have covered the necessary grammar in Henle. LL covers the passive voice in chapter six, so you won't be reading that one for a while, unless you feel adventurous and don't mind reading it before you've covered it in Henle.

Focus Publishing is the best place to get the Lingua Latina materials.

If you need more info., just let me know, and I'll elaborate.

I started out doing this with Prima Latina and Latina Christiana I. However, as my boys grew older, they started asking questions about Latin that I couldn't answer. I soon realized that I needed to be ahead of them to know where we were going and to answer their questions. In addition, my boys were understanding more quickly than I was, and I found myself trying to catch up with them sometimes; a truly humbling experience to say the least.