Menu

Now I'm reading on the Mayo Clinic site that you CAN'T catch h1n1 again

This is a general rule not an absolute one. Both my children and myself had both chicken pox and the measles more than once. Documented cases by medical doctors and they are both caused by viruses. I got two cases of the same strain of virus two years apart when there should have been enough antibodies in my system to prevent that. Incidences like this are pretty uncommon though.

Edited by KidsHappen

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/swine-flu/AN02039

Is that right? That would be a relief-we weren't going to do the h1n1 vaccine anyway, so it would be good that we probably have h1n1 right now!

In general, it's true that if you were infected with H1N1, you won't be reinfected with the same exact virus. There are exceptions, as some people won't have a good immune response, but that's unusual.

However, if the virus changes (and they do this all the time) , you will only have partial immunity, or none at all, depending on how different the new strain is.

Unfortunately, he makes several mistakes. First, influenza doesn't have DNA. It's an RNA virus. Small detail, but as an infectious disease doctor he should know better. The RNA doesn't exactly rearrange. Instead, it gradually changes through point mutations. Influenza viruses can reassort, or combine with other influenza viruses to make an entirely new virus, but that's an example of antigenic shift and isn't what he's talking about. Also, overall, most influenza-like illnesses actually aren't flu, but are other respiratory infections. However, if there is flu going through the community, most people with ILI probably have flu.

I think Mayo needs a new spokesperson.

Edited by Perry

Also, overall, most influenza-like illnesses actually aren't flu, but are other respiratory infections. However, if there is flu going through the community, most people with ILI probably have flu.

I want to clarify this, since it comes up frequently. Influenza-like illness is defined as

fever [>100°F (37.8°C)] and cough and/or sore throat in the absence of a known cause other than influenza
so it could be caused by a variety of things: influenza A, influenza B, other influenzaviruses, rhinovirus, adenovirus, RSV, parainfluenza, etc.

So over the course of a year, most ILI *isn't* influenza.

But if influenza is known to be in your community, and you have ILI symptoms, you probably DO have influenza. And if you were tested and found to have influenza, you almost certainly have H1N1, because right now, H1N1 is the only influenza virus circulating with any frequency. That could change as regular flu season starts, although I'm betting it won't.

Is that confusing? Maybe I'm not explaining this well.

Edited by Perry

That all makes total sense!

We are blessed to have you on here to help us make sense of all this!

It was surprising that the Mayo dr. had discrepancies like that.

I put another thread below that I wondered if you could weigh in on-regarding the rebound effect that H1N1 seems to be having-thanks!