Menu

Supplementing Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1... word problems

Well, EK is using -- and doing well with -- TT Algebra 1, after a disastrous year last year with BJU Algebra 1. She just wasn't getting it last year, and we both wound up frustrated, sometimes to the point of tears.

So halfway through the BJU book, we stopped. I bought TT, and now she's doing great. The good thing about TT so far is that EK is able to solve a problem with different methods, which tells me that she is actually *understanding* the math.

The only thing that bugs me about TT so far is the word problems. I'm concerned about there being only ONE word problem in each problem set, and it's always EXACTLY the same as the example, but with different numbers plugged in. I'm afraid that EK's not getting enough practice, and also that when faced with problems that are not exactly like the example, she won't be able to do them.

I'm wondering if any of you have this same concern, and if so, if you've supplemented with word problems from other books.

I had to chuckle...after frustrations with TT Alg. 1 set in for us, we changed to BJU Alg. 1 and are much happier. To each their own.

That aside, you may want to check out www.mathtutordvd.com They offer a 2 DVD set of Algebra 1 word problems for around $27.

And, BTW, I would agree that word problem exercises with BJU is sparse.

Susan

I'm wondering if any of you have this same concern, and if so, if you've supplemented with word problems from other books.

I have 2 word problem books that we do on some Fridays when we have a 5-day week, or on the day after a quiz.

Singapore Math Challenging Word Problems 6, has quite a bit of algebra so far.

Algebra I Word Problems from Critical Thinking Press by Hardick. Was a little too much for my son to absorb during his first dozen weeks of algebra, but we'll re-try it again soon.

Julie

I had to chuckle...after frustrations with TT Alg. 1 set in for us, we changed to BJU Alg. 1 and are much happier. To each their own.

That aside, you may want to check out www.mathtutordvd.com They offer a 2 DVD set of Algebra 1 word problems for around $27.

And, BTW, I would agree that word problem exercises with BJU is sparse.

Susan

LOL! Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check into the DVD.

(P.S. I'm assuming you meant that the word problems are sparse with TT, not BJU. One thing I've always liked about BJU is that they have plenty of word problems.)

Edited by ereks mom