Menu

help with writing assignment!

My son has to do a 3 pg paper (double spaced) on the French Revolution. I'm trying to help him figure out how to keep it that short, when there is soo much information on it. Anyone have ideas on some categories or topics to break it down into, that would help keep the paper from growing into a book?

Thanks!

My son has to do a 3 pg paper (double spaced) on the French Revolution. I'm trying to help him figure out how to keep it that short, when there is soo much information on it. Anyone have ideas on some categories or topics to break it down into, that would help keep the paper from growing into a book?

Thanks!

What grade level? What kind of writing does he need to do (expository, persuasive)?

Ok. It's still a big topic, but what you might want to have him do is choose 2 or 3 of the main causes of the French Revolution (rise of Enlightenment philosophy, influence of atheism, economic crisis, disillusionment with the aristocracy) and have him give a brief overview of each one. Alternatively, he could choose the one most interesting to him and write exclusively about that. If he wants an interesting and different perspective on the Revolution, he could read excerpts from Edmund Burke's letters and write about one or more of the issues Burke addresses. In that case, look for "Further Reflections on the Revolution in France" at http://oll.libertyfund.org.

HTH

I'd have him read from Kingfisher or Usborne to get a bit of background, then get a resource or two from the library. He can concentrate on the "W" questions: Who, What, Why, Where, and When.

Where and When did the event take place? (The setting bascially)

Who participated (groups and important individuals)?

What exactly happened? (chronological order of events)

Why did this happen? (background or causes of the revolution)

You get the idea.

HTH, Stacy

Edited by Stacy in NJ
bit more