Menu

SWR and Explode the Code? Should I do both?

Mom to 3+1

I can't speak for ETC, but even though i *love* SWR and even attended a workshop, i still use other stuff simply cuz i LIKE it!! I still use SWO, A Beka's Handbook for Reading, and other phonics stuff. No problems here :-)

Do you think your 2d graders *need* extra phonics practice, or maybe just increase the amount of regular reading w/ great literature, using SWR rules when you hit a new word they don't quite get? You could just let them add that specific word/s to their notebook w/ correct markings. i have my guys read aloud to me a lot to make sure they are reading words correctly.

I have used ETC to get them reading, then use SWR - because I mine have struggled with trying to read with SWR, but ETC seems to take them through the steps painlessly (and they don't have to write if they struggle with that). The way we did it was I taught the phonogram sounds as we did the primer level ETC, then worked through books 1 & 2, then we begin the SWR spelling lists. If your child is reading then it would not be needed, unless you just wanted some practice on decoding, and variety :)