Menu

Will someone please explain to me why a 3rd grader should study formal grammar?...sm

Allison TX

it is easy to forget the fact that the beauty of language should be paramount

Geeky English-Major-type thing to follow:

The beauty of the language is not fully appreciated unless you know how language is normally used and how an author is demonstrating mastery of/veering away from/innovating standard usage. Anyone can enjoy the ballet, but those of us who have danced and who recognize the skill and technical expertise enjoy it far more. I have always found great beauty in music, but not until I understood the amazing skill required in something like folk music did I *really* appreciate the beauty and artistry of that genre.

If you want to know why children need to learn grammar at some point before they start talking seriously about literature, I'd say watch Janice's video of diagramming a selection from The Hobbit. You cannot have that kind of application unless the grammar of grammar is already there. Likewise, you cannot do algebra fluidly if you have to stop and count on your fingers when you simplify 12x-7x.

Whether you need to start it at kindergarten or 3rd grade could be debated. But at some point, IMHO, they need to understand how our language works in a nuts and bolts way. We will be using Michael Clay Thompson's Grammar Voyage as our springboard text, with assignments from R&S 6 for reinforcement. Beauty and technique, hand in hand. :)

I think it depends both on the child and the approach. My advanced 6yo loves Michael Clay Thompson's grammar series which deals with only the nuts and bolts of the language. It's amusing and engaging in a way I haven't seen in other programs. I like that his system doesn't use stick diagramming, but rather emphasizes how the elements of grammar and integrated and multi-layered. I may be in the minority here, but I think that when breaking down sentences functionally in stick diagrams, it is easy to forget the fact that the beauty of language should be paramount. She'll probably continue to use one book per year -- they are designed to be done with quickly, in the first couple months of the school year. DD did do one level of GWG, but I now accept that she will indeed learn everything she needs to know about punctuation, etc. through reading and having her work corrected (which of course means I have to bone up, and what does that say about my argument?). GWG was painless, but not necessary at her stage; if she needs something later on, we'll worry about incidentals then.

One could say that she doesn't really NEED the grammar, but rather is drawn to it. I don't have a good sense of how it may help her with other languages, but it seems easier to have the framework already in place for discussion. I will probably start formal grammar with my youngest when she reaches the stage her sister's at now (which will probably be 3 years later chronologically), perhaps through Latin.

Moira, do you use the teacher's guides to this series?

Moira, do you use the teacher's guides to this series?
You need only the TM's for each of MCT's Elementary series. IIRC, this is not true of the middle school series. It is convenient, but not necessary, to have the student Practice books. The Practice books are based on the entire program (grammar, writing, vocabulary). The only potential issue I've seen thus far would be that the indirect object is covered in Sentence Island (writing) but not Grammar Island. Practice Island has a few sentences with indirect objects. It also has some new material as a teaser (subordinate conjunctions and clauses), but this is discussed in the Practice Island TM.

MCT would be best to start no earlier than a 3rd grade level and with a language adept child. There is little repetition and much of the humor is dependent on the child understanding the material.

I finally figured out how to search the old boards, here are some threads that might be helpful.

http://www.wtmboards.com/K8currNov292007/messages/34.html

http://wtmboards.com/K8currDec202007/messages/2808.html

These are posts where veterans or more experienced homeschoolers advised me about grammar. Please realize it has been a bumpy road for us in regards to grammar, we tried a few different things, had a few different ideas but thankfully that led us to our correct solution which is to study grammar informally through the context of copywork, writing and usage.

We use Primary Language Lessons happily now and the struggle was worth it. Dd7 actually cheered in the post office today when our copy of Intermediate Language Lessons came in. She shocked our Postmaster by jumping up and down, "Yeah! New Grammar!" You would have thought she received a new toy in the mail. Unbelievable.

Anyways, I hope you find your solution.