Menu

Math-u-see What to buy? What level?

shari99

Hello,

My daughter is in 2nd grade and I'm about to take her out (Nov 1). I really want to be ready to start working on Math and making it fun. I believe that Math U See would be a good fit. Although she has a grade of "excellent" in math, I am really don't think she has a firm understanding. I am not sure what I need to buy.

1. Which level would she need? Should I just start from the very beginning with the Primer? (I have a Pre-K guy too and will be ready for that stuff before long!) I can't seem to find anything on their site to help me in selecting (tell me if it's there--I can be blind as a bat).

2. Do I need the 'completer set" of blocks from the get go?

I also saw where they are coming out with fancier books! I wonder if the price is going to shoot waaaaay up.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!!

Shari

They have a placement test on the website. Take that first. I would NOT recommend starting in Primer...wayyyy too easy for a 1st grader who has an "excellent" in math. Starting her in alpha wouldn't be so bad b/c she could solidify her add. facts. I've heard others say Primer was "useless". Never did it, so don't know why. Take the placement test, though, and see. You won't need the completer blocks unless you plan on doing the "block clock" with her. We never bothered with that. My kids could tell time w/out it. Good luck!

Ditto everything Sue G said. We did the block clock but just improvised using other blocks in the regular set. He understood that just fine. I'm probably going to get the Primer next year for my DD who will be kindergarten age, but my son came home after finishing kindergarten in private school and I started him in Alpha this fall, and he's done fine. We had to spend lots of time on learning place value, which your daughter may not need to do, but he's taking his 'final' addition tests tomorrow and Tuesday. MUS will work very well to get those facts down. If you're interested, I posted a game using the MUS blocks on my blog. We're using it for speed and accuracy and to reinforce the facts.

Primer is great for Kindergarten, but I used it with A Beka. I agree with everyone else, take the placement test and don't start in Primer. As for the blocks, I will never sell my blocks and I still have the posters. I've never needed the completer set.

HTH!

Dorinda

I agree, take the placement test but even if she is ready for Beta I would pick up an Alpha test book just to make sure she understands everything. You can probably find a used one very cheap. This way you would not have to invest in the full set. This would give her some transition time to hs'ing and a quick review. The scope and sequence is a bit different.

I would skip Primer. I think everything is covered again in Alpha from Primer.

The content in the lower levels did not change with the revision so used copies may save some $$$. Alpha will not be out until next year anyway. The difference is in the binding and formatting of the pages. If you go to www.mathusee.com and click on "What's new?" . Look at 2009 blog entry for details.

Thanks all! I can't believe I missed the placement tests link. We will take care of that when she gets home today. =) And sounds like we will just need one set of blocks for starters.

One more question- anyone try the Skip and Count CD useful? I have 2 preschoolers too.

They do like to sing, but not if the CD is annoying!!

I just keep thinking of the Awana Sparks scripture cd --- oh the annoying fake sounding children's voices, and the not so catchy tunes.:crying: Whereas the kids singing on the Steve Green's Hide em in Your Heart are really enjoyable --and the songs catchy. My kids just start singing them at random!

Anyone tried the Math-U-See sing-a-long with their little ones?