Menu

DVD recommendations for U.S. history starting with WW I?

This year we are doing Modern History 1850-2000, so here are some of the history videos we have watched throughout the year so far...

Video series: Ken Burns, The Civil War, part 1,2,3,4

Video series: Queen Victoria’s Empire, parts 1,2,3,4

Video: History of the United States, “Sectarian Tensions Escalate,†“Drifting Toward Disaster,†“Coming of War,†“First Year of Fighting,†“Shifting Tides of Battle,†“Diplomatic Clashes,†“Behind the Lines,†“African Americans in Wartime,†“Union Drive to Victory,†“Presidential Reconstruction.†“Congress Takes Command.†“Reconstruction Ends,†“Industrialization,†“Transcontinental Railroad,†“Indian Wars,†“Farming on the Prairie.†“African Americans,†“Men and Women,†“Religion in America.†“Populists,†“New Immigrants,†“City Life,†“Labor and Capital,†“Teddy Roosevelt.†“Mass Production,†“Preparing for War,†“World War One,†“1920’s,†“Great Depression,†“New Deal.â€

Video: Brief History of the World, “Transformation of Europe,†“Emergence of Russia.†“Asian Empires & Shogunate,†“Long Nineteenth Century,†“Nationalism and Modernization,†“Latin America,†“China and Japan,†20th Century,†“20th Century Economy,†“Age of Revolutions.†“US in World History,†“Contemporary Democracy,†“Cultural Changes,†“Gender Issues,†“Globalization"

Video: Great Authors of Literary Traditions, “Jane Austen,†“Charles Dickens,†“Leo Tolstoy.â€

Video: Complete History of US Wars, “Imperial Wars 1876-1917.

Video: Complete History of US Wars, “Global Wars 1917-1950.â€

Video: Art Across the Ages, “From Realism to Impressionism,†“Paris and the East,†“American Realism.â€

Video: Books that Made History, “All Quiet on the Western Front.â€

Video: All Quiet on the Western Front

Video: 10 Days that Changed America, “Homestead Riot,†“Assassination of McKinley,†“Scopes Trial.â€

Video: Art Across the Ages, “Fin de Siecle,†“African and Asian Art,†“They all Came to Paris,†“Revolutions in 20th Century Painting,†“Figuration and Abstraction,†“Sculpture.†“Architecture,†“Edges of East and West,†“Art, Trauma and Politics,†“Modern Jewish Art,†“Problems of Categories,†“Explosion of Modernist Media.â€

Video: Ragtime

Video: The Sting

Video: 10 Days that Changed America, “Einstein Sends a Letter,†“When America Was Rocked,†“Freedom Summer 1964.â€

Video: It’s a Wonderful Life

Video: October Sky

Video: Complete History of US Wars, “Cold War,†“Police Wars.â€

Video: History of European Art, “Birth of Impressionism,†“Monet and Degas,†“Renoir, Pisarro, Cezanne,†“Beyond Impressionism,†“Cubism,†“Modern Sculpture,†“Art Between Two Wars.â€

Video; History of the United States, “WWII, Road to Pearl Harbor,†“WWII, European Theatre,†“WWII, Pacific Theatre,†“Cold War.â€

Video: Panama Canal

Video: Chariots of Fire

Video: Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Video: In Search of the Bismarck

Video: The Mouse that Roared

Video: Trinity, the Story of the Atom Bomb

Video: Failsafe

Video: History of the United States, “Korean War and McCarthyism,†“Affluent Society,†“Civil Rights Movement,†“Great Society,†“Mass Media,†“Vietnam War,†“Women’s Movement.â€

Video: Ozzie and Harriet

Video: Schlessinger Media, “Post-War USAâ€

Video: History of the United States, “Nixon and Watergate,†“Environmentalism,†“Religion in 20th Century,†“Carter and Reagan Revolution,†“New World Order,†“Clinton,†“Conclusions.â€

Video: Foundations Western Civilization II, “Russian Revolution,†“Recovery and Depression in the West 1918-1932,†“Totalitarian Russia,†“Rise of Fascism.â€

Video: Guns of Navaronne

Video: All the President’s Men

Yes, thank you Anne for that list! I've been looking for documentaries on the Cold War and coming up short. I'm going to look for a few of the titles you've listed.

This series doesn't focus on America, but I wanted to recommend it anyway as it is excellent, one of the best documentaries I've seen in a long time. It is called "The First World War: The Complete Series" and can be found at Netflix. There are 10 episodes on 4 discs, and it gives a very well rounded picture of the entire world during WWI. We're doing modern world history this year, so it was perfect.

These are all about the US or are from a US point of view. I've listed the year the film was made in parenthesis behind the title so you'll know which version I mean.

- It's A Wonderful Life (1946) -- covers the 1920s through the end of WW2

- Citizen Kane (1941) -- rise of newspaper baron from the late 1800s to 1930s

WW1

- Sergeant York (1941) -- biography of this highly decorated US soldier

1920s

- The Great Waldo Pepper (1975) -- post-WW1 pilots turn to barnstorming

- The Roaring 20s (1939) -- prohibition and gangsters (fairly tame in the violence)

- The Jazz Singer (1927) -- Jewish cantor turns to blackface minstreling and jazz

(the black face minstreling really makes me cringe -- but it is important to see and understand that this racial stereotyping existed)

- Singing in the Rain (1951) -- fun, delightful movie about silent films go to "talkies"

1930s

- My Man Godfrey (1936) -- Depression; really highlights the very rich vs. homeless

- Grapes of Wrath (1940) -- Dust Bowl

- To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) -- racism in the Deep South in the Depression

- Sea Biscuit (2003) -- racehorse that gave hope in the midst of the Depression

1940s -- WW2

- Stalag 17 (1953) -- American POWs in German camp

- The Great Escape (1963) -- British and 2 American POWs in German camp

- Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo (1944) -- US fighting Japanese in the Pacific theater

- The Longest Day (1962) -- D-Day

- Sands of Iwo Jima (1949) -- Iwo Jima

1940s -- post WW2

- Best Years of Our Lives (1946) -- US vets return home and try to resume their lives

- The Third Man (1949) naive American in war-devastated Europe & black market