Menu

Scripps Spelling Bee

Well, that was fun! We just came back from the Scripps Spelling Bee, Regional competition in Pittsburgh. My dd, sixth grade, was dinged out in the fifth round-- one more correct word and she would have made it to the finals! It was quite fun. In our region, a homeschool family can register for only $8, which includes a one year subscription to Encyclopedia Brittanica, and a T shirt, and a chance to compete in the regional semi-finals.

I really like the word list they use, posted on the Spell-It Merriam Webster website. It is divided into different languages, and is a very fun way to learn new words. Highly recommended! Great way to improve vocabulary as well as spelling skills.

Good luck to all our other homeschool participants this year! I'm sure we'll watch the Nationals on TV in May.

http://www.myspellit.com/

I'm glad you guys had a good time! This was my daughter's second year at the Regionals. She came third, for the second year in a row. Three other spellers were out on the same round which left the last two. The last two went at least four more rounds but kept getting all of the words wrong! Eventually one of them spelled a word right and then also got the championship word.

The winner at our bee gets to go to the Nationals in Ottawa and in Washington as well - what fun!

Sarah