Menu

IMACS - Elements of Mathematics

Dana

I know some of us have talked briefly about this on another thread.

I'm working through the books (slowly... just about finished Bk 0, Ch 1) and am curious if anyone else has the books or has used the books. We've still got about 4-5 years before I start them with ds, but I'm trying to figure out pacing and testing (and may be interested in checking some solutions with others too).

So if anyone else is using the books, I'd be interested in hearing - and figured we can also have a thread for questions etc (or can do in PMs if we don't want kids to ever see work).

We're using it occasionally now. We'll be doing it half time next year! :-)

EDIT: On solutions, I was going to do a solutions manual, but in all honesty, the first books are so trivial that it seems a waste of time. I might scan all of DS's answers, though, just for comparison's sake. They SHOULD be right by that time.

Do you have a link to the books? I googled, but can't find it.

Thanks.

Jean

The books are Elements of Mathematics and I used them in a MEGSSS class in 7th and 8th grade. We did group theory, logic, and other things I didn't see again until my 2nd year of college in a math major. Very good books - but all the company owning copyright will sell is the books. All well and good, but I'm finding myself second-guessing how to actually implement it (and also really wanting the ancillary material).

IMACS (also has courses at some locations), email them for a list of books to purchase.

Project MEGSSS (in St Louis)

Book 0 Chapter 2: Integers (someone posted online...)

And here was the thread where we talked about this... good stuff there too.

(And in that thread, Reya mentioned "a lot of writing" in Book 1 (Logic) and I'm seeing it now... truth tables galore... to the point of "ugh...another one?" But I don't remember it that way when I took it, so I don't know if we did all problems, only some problems, or if it was just cool since it was new and at my age it grows more tiresome ;) )

Wow, how did I miss this one! I'm really interested in getting these books for ds1. I can't see spending that much right now on math books, I'm sorry to say. Maybe I should put them on my Christmas wish list?

Actually, how critical are the book 0 chapters? Could you work through book 1 without book 0? All those book 0 chapters add up to a lot of money.

Reya, which books are you using now? Are you using the MEGSSS sequence?

Jean

Can I get the tests, as an individual????

No. I'm probably going to write my own. :glare:

Just ordered the expansion for MathType so I'll have all the set symbols (Z, R, Q, etc).

I keep going back-and-forth on it... The material is good, so if we work through it, and he's understanding it, there may not be a need for tests. But practice taking tests is good... and it will demonstrate whether he really understands the material or not.

I was wondering how you're handling it.

Are you still working in Bk 0 Ch 1 or have you moved on? (Think that's where you were in the earlier thread.)

Actually, how critical are the book 0 chapters? Could you work through book 1 without book 0? All those book 0 chapters add up to a lot of money.

Jean

Book 1 is logic. You can do it along with Bk 0.

You may not want to do all the Bk 0 chapters (the MEGSSS outline gives some ideas for approaches/pacing), but you definitely wouldn't want to skip.

I think I did most of Bk 0, all of 1 and 2 (logic sequence) and I'm not sure we got any further. The later books (bought because I was worried I'd never find them again) are seriously college-level maths.

For Stripe,

I think these books are an outgrowth of the CSMP books. I'm not sure which came first, but these would be for middle school & high school rather than for elementary school.

Reya, which books are you using now? Are you using the MEGSSS sequence?

Jean

The first chapter of 0! Actually, we've pretty much stopped because DS isn't forcing me to do it anymore, and frankly, I spend ENOUGH time HSing him. I don't need more. We'll probably restart at the beginning around Sept. of next year.

We're just about through Singapore 4 IP now (got to get a protractor and set square to do the rest!), and we're more than halfway through RS E. After we do Sing 5 and 6, a lot of which looks like review, we'll be doing NEM half time and IMACS half time. So we'll start really cruising then.

And, yes, we'll be using that sequence.

No. I'm probably going to write my own. :glare:

Just ordered the expansion for MathType so I'll have all the set symbols (Z, R, Q, etc).

I keep going back-and-forth on it... The material is good, so if we work through it, and he's understanding it, there may not be a need for tests. But practice taking tests is good... and it will demonstrate whether he really understands the material or not.

I was wondering how you're handling it.

Are you still working in Bk 0 Ch 1 or have you moved on? (Think that's where you were in the earlier thread.)

Oh, phooey. I don't know about testing. I likely won't do much. We'll have tests in NEM, after all.

Still there because I duck it whenever I can. I love my kid, but I need my own time, too.

Yeah, I push my kid, here! :D

Once he finishes Sing 6, I'll be able to do it instead of school math, so I'll be happy to devote more time to it. He's not swift with speed/accuracy, still (ditziness and inattention), but he's okay, I guess. IRL, there's not a HUGE demand to do many, many multidigit calculations, and in all honesty, he seemed quite ready for NEM nearly a year ago. I'm just a meany. He needs to know his math facts in his SLEEP for upper maths to be easy.