Menu

The Story of Rolf and the Viking Bow

Sunkirst

I'm considering this book as a supplement to our Middle Ages studies. My son just finished "A Door in the Wall," and he did not enjoy it. To tell the truth, I don't really blame him -- too little character development, and not very exciting, even when it could have been. Last year he read Golden Goblet and Mara, Daughter of the Nile, and LOVED them both. I want him to enjoy his supplemental reading; it adds so much to our history studies.

Anyhow, knowing a bit about his tastes, would he enjoy "Story of Rolf?"

Thanks!

We found this book absolutely captivating. The language is a little old fashioned but the story itself really evokes the whole time period. However, we listened to A Door in the Wall on audio and my kids enjoyed that as well. However, I would say, in terms of caliber of writing, Rolf has it over Door in the Wall. I say go for it!

Well, my ds didn't object to Door in the Wall at all, and Rolf is a lot longer, but I think he also found it a lot more exciting. I pre-read it over the summer and feared that the slightly stilted language and slow start might put him off -- though I found myself sucked in more and more as the story went on. He actually had less trouble getting into it than I thought and thoroughly enjoyed it. So did the 6th grade girl with whom he schools part time. I think they both liked it more than The Trumpeter of Krakow, which they've also read recently for school.

We're reading Rolf aloud right now. All three of my children (9,9,7) are really enjoying it. So much so, in fact, that I've been _hiding_ the book when I'm not reading it aloud because they were all arguing about who should get to read ahead first!

yvonne

I'm considering this book as a supplement to our Middle Ages studies. My son just finished "A Door in the Wall," and he did not enjoy it. To tell the truth, I don't really blame him -- too little character development, and not very exciting, even when it could have been. Last year he read Golden Goblet and Mara, Daughter of the Nile, and LOVED them both. I want him to enjoy his supplemental reading; it adds so much to our history studies.

Anyhow, knowing a bit about his tastes, would he enjoy "Story of Rolf?"

Thanks!

Kristen,

The Story of Rolf and the Viking Bow is good, but there is a ghost scene in the book. I want to say about 2/3 of the way through. They disturb a grave and a ghost attacks them. I don't remember how they get out of the situation.

It really isn't that bad, so if it is your 11 yo...well you know your child. I have overly sensitive girls. :rolleyes:

Heather

Thanks all!

This sounds like a go for us. The single biggest complaint DS will make about a book is that "not enough happens," so the pace of Rolf will be something he enjoys. I may have to give him a hand with the language for a while, but I really think this helps with comprehension and vocabulary in the long run.