Menu

Two questions about vitamins (one about kids, one about me)

First I have a question about kids vitamins. I recently started my kids on vitamins that I got at Whole Foods. DD2 takes the liquid kind. I noticed that for the past 4 days, she's been pooping alot. Like twice a day (which is a lot for her, she usually goes about every other day). And it sounds explosive coming out, and it is very soft and watery (sorry TMI). I asked her if her tummy hurts, she says no. I just recently realized that these poops began a few days after she began her vitamins (they've been taking them for about a week). Do you think they could have a correlation? If so, is this normal or should I stop the vitamins for DD2?

Also, I'm looking for a vitamin for myself. Just a regular, multi vitamin I guess. I prefer to get it at Whole Foods, so if anyone takes something from there, I would love some suggestions. Thanks!!!

I'd stop the vitamin and see if the poop settles down. How much magnesium was she getting in the pill? How much vitamin C? Does she have any allergies?

I don't like all minerals together. Minerals often block each other (iron, zinc, calcium, and copper specifically really need to be taken apart). If you want to do one pill supplement do one without iron. I tend to supplement what I need seperately.

Do use vitamin D3 on it's own no matter what other vitamin you take. My husband and I take 5000 IU of D3 in the winter and the boys take 2000 IU.

Also, I'm looking for a vitamin for myself. Just a regular, multi vitamin I guess. I prefer to get it at Whole Foods, so if anyone takes something from there, I would love some suggestions. Thanks!!!

I believe they carry Natrol My Favorite Multiple Take One.

It's a fabulous formulation. The iron in it is albion's ferrochel (iron bisglycinate). The lovely thing about it is that it absorbs beautifully in the presence of calcium and doesn't interfere with the absorption of anything else. It's safe and effective.

Copper and zinc do antagonize each other but in the forms in the natrol (and many good vitamins) this really isn't much of an issue.....I wouldn't worry about it in the least. The key thing is to get enough zinc and in the natrol you will, even if your diet is high in copper (ie grains).

iherb.com is my favorite place to buy supplements. The natrol is just under $10 from iherb.com and is closer to $20 at health food stores.

:)

Katherine

It's just called children's MultiVitamin with bioflavonoids by NaturaBio. Here's the break down on the back:

Vitamin A 1250 IU

Vitamin C 40mg

Vitamin D3 400 IU

Vitamin E 10 IU

Thiamine 0.7 mg

Riboflavin 0.8 mg

Niacin 9 mg

Biotin 30 mcg

Vitamin B6 0.7 mg

Panthotenic Acid 3 mg

Bioflavonoid Complex (Queretin, Rutin, Hesperidin 1 mg

Other ingredients: Purified water, Brown rice syrup, glycerin, natural orange, lime, and vanilla flavors, citric acid, stevia extract, natual lemon flavor, sodium benzoate, chamomile, horsetail, kelp, licorice, peppermint, plantain, spinach, and nettles.

it's probably not the vitamin unless the brown rice syrup is just too much of a sugar hit at once......are you giving it on an empty stomach? if so, try it with food.

the thing is, most diarrheal issues are self limiting. it'll probably stop anyway, possibly when you stop the multi:) Be sure to start the multi again to give the trial a fair shot

K

Glycerin jumps out at me as a possible stool softener. I'm allergic to chamomile, so I couldn't take this formula myself.

you're so right. I missed it. In this formula it's just there to keep the ingredients in suspension but in a sensitive person, it could be enough to soften stools I'd imagine.

K

I take this one (or the regular one that's not just for women): http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/item.php?RID=545

That link doesn't list the ingredients, but the one I use is at Vitacost and may help: http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Way-Alive-Multivitamin-Whole-Food-Energizer-180-Tablets

It says up to 6 capsules daily, but I take 3. Love these. I use a few things by Nature's Way.

Thanks for all the suggestions for a vitamin for me. I'll definitely be checking them out.

As far as the glycerin goes, my DD doesnt usually have a sensitive tummy. But maybe this just effects her that way. I had wanted her to take vitamins to help her through the flu season....but I guess I'll have to stop the vitamins and see if the pooping goes away (well, not completely LOL).

I believe they carry Natrol My Favorite Multiple Take One.

It's a fabulous formulation. The iron in it is albion's ferrochel (iron bisglycinate). The lovely thing about it is that it absorbs beautifully in the presence of calcium and doesn't interfere with the absorption of anything else. It's safe and effective.

Copper and zinc do antagonize each other but in the forms in the natrol (and many good vitamins) this really isn't much of an issue.....I wouldn't worry about it in the least. The key thing is to get enough zinc and in the natrol you will, even if your diet is high in copper (ie grains).

My son takes ferrochel (bis-glycinate). I agree it is a wonderful iron source. Part of what makes it great and so much more absorbable is that it isn't affected by phytates that normally block iron absorption. However, in all my research I never saw anything that said it isn't blocked by other minerals including calcium. Where did you see that information? I'd love to know that I don't need to keep calcium away from his iron.

edited to add: I found an albion newsletter and they stated that the ferrochel acts like heme iron and therefore isn't affected by calcium. However, all my research indicates that heme iron is inhibited by calcium. I'm skeptical that ferrochel is ok with calcium.

Edited by sbgrace