Menu

Does anyone have experience with the 6 year history cycle used at Simply Charlotte Mason?

http://simplycharlottemason.com/planning/scmguide/history-modules-overview/

Does anyone do this? How well does it work? Does anyone use SCM as a base, but change the history to a 4 year cycle? It seems like a pretty easy guide to play around with.

Oh, and I only put SCM in the title to see if that was causing the error when trying to post. I've tried more than 10 times now to post this :glare:

Guest Cindie2dds

Hi, if I were you, I would post on their forum. People tweak their guides and schedules over there, too. ;)

I have the guidebook to Module 1 and I really like it. It is broken down into lessons which you can do once to five times a week, it's your choice. You can move faster than a year with these if you want and speed it up by doing five lessons a week to complete a four-year history cycle, if that is important to you.

It is written from a strong Christian viewpoint, just an FYI. It lines up ancient history with Biblical history using a timeline (free download) from Creation on. It is a Young Earth viewpoint.

The best part is it's very easy to implement, especially since their website links up with WorldCat. I use their SCM Organizer to organize all the school resources and activities we do throughout the week.

HTH!

• 4 months later...
Guest mrsjamiesouth

I think you could easily do it in 4 years. It is very light. Their was a discussion on SCM forum about this not long ago.

http://simplycharlottemason.com/scmforum/topic/combining-history-modules

The handbooks have the schedule and readings broken down with some hands on activities. You could move at a faster pace than suggested.

Guest aquiverfull

WOW! These modules look so good! (Thank you Jennifer for pointing me in that direction!) It looks very doable to me, and now I'm thinking of doing the first 3 modules in 1 year, or possibly just two if need be. :)

These look like the exact kind of framework I was looking for and could easily add to.

Edited by aquiverfull

Guest Cindie2dds

Just an FYI: The first Module is 70% Bible study. It's the lightest on History. For several reasons, we aren't going to continue to do Ancients. There is a PDF file with a large sample of Module 1 on their website so you can actually see how it is broken down.

HTH!

We are doing SCM modules 1-3 in 2 years. We are about to be on the 2nd module. It is a good program - very simple, easy to teach, and the kids like it. They just updated module 1 to include the history/geography lessons to be woven throughout the book (like the other modules) instead of how the older version was set up (term 1 bible, term 2 history/geography and term 3 bible).