Menu

Anyone sew gym leotards?

I have sewn hundreds of leotards and swim suits and dance costumes over the years and most of them without the benefit of the serger. A serger makes sewing faster, but it is not at all necessary.

You absolutely must have at least a zigzag, but a stretch stitch is a help.

It has been so long since I started I am not sure where to begin to advise.

Elastic I prefer is beige swimwear elastic. It is soft to the touch and holds up extremely well. Have you attached elastic to a garment??? I don't mean run it into a waistband, but attached it at the waistband all the way around? REally, that is the only technique that is in at all challenging.

The fabric does stretch as you sew, so you need to be sure you have the beginning and the end of your seam pinned correctly so they will line up when you are done.

When you pick out your fabric, it will stretch in both directions..with the grain and across the grain. You will cut out your pattern with the most stretch going around your body, even if that is across teh grain.

Use KWIK SEW Patterns only. They fit! Their elastic measurements work! Their directions are simple, but make sense. I love them!

I picked up a pattern just now, it is a Kwik Sew so i am on the right track. I have read through the instructions and it looks simple enough i guess.

I do have an overlocker but i am not that confident with it. I am not sure i would want to use it straight up. I have never sewn elastic on with the overlocker. I have sewn it down onto the fabric with 3 step zigzag no worries but that wasn't a set measurement of elastic, it was just stretch and sew. This time i will have to get it just right.

Thankyou for telling me which way the stretch is to go. I had no idea. Hopefully we can pickup some nice fabric tomorrow so i can get started. It is quite exciting :) DD is over the moon!

I gave up trying to sew leos when I found this ebay store - Chris McKelvey's Material World. They are very reasonable in price and she has free shipping.

It was not worth my time and effort IMO, when I could get them at such a reasonable price.

I've sewed only 1 "trial" leo, but my DD does rhythmic gymnastics and I plan to sew her next ones.

I used a KwikSew pattern, but for ice skating costumes, as RG leos are skirted. They are also generally more complicated with applique, etc. If total-beginner me can do it, anyone can! I have no serger, I have a used thrift store machine, that has a zig-zag stitch. I do not know about the regualr leotard pattern, but for the RG/skirted leo, the armholes run very big on the pattern, they need to be adjusted quite a bit. I knew this ahead of time, and adjusted, but the trial leo still has too big arm holes.

So if your leo pattern has sleeves, watch those arm holes. Otherwise, for sleeveless leos, it is great! Kwik Sew was the top pattern recommendation when I asked about this on a message board full of very knowledgeable women who have been sewing leos for years.

Thanks Cami I will check the arm holes. I did pick up a pattern with a skirt as she does dance also so i thought it would work both ways.

Some of the leo's are so beautiful with the applique hopefully we can get there. My DH likes to draw so i am sure he can come up with a swirly pattern for me. I will have to post some pics once we are done. Looking forward to the weekend now :)

I do have an overlocker but i am not that confident with it. I am not sure i would want to use it straight up. I have never sewn elastic on with the overlocker. I have sewn it down onto the fabric with 3 step zigzag no worries but that wasn't a set measurement of elastic, it was just stretch and sew. This time i will have to get it just right.

QUOTE]

Attaching elastic is quite easy IMHO. You divide the space you are going to sew it to ( waistband, armhole, leghole..etc..) into 4ths and you do the same with elastic. You can use a fabric washable marker or pins, whichever works for you. Then you match the marks and sstretch and sew with a zigzag or a stretch stitch. My preference is the 3 step zigzag... 2nd step is to fold it over and top stitch. I usually do not use a stretch here, but you can. THere is a straight stretch stitch that goes 3 steps forward and one step reverse. IF the leotard will get lots of use, as in you might hand it on down to another child, then use the stretch straight stitch. Otherwise just a straight top stitch is fine.

Applique..well..don't start there. It's not as easy it looks..and especially on stretch fabric. I made my daughters a shoe bag out of a woven bag and did appliqued some ballet shoes on each of them. They turned out cute, but I wouldn't try to do that on leotard fabric.

Attaching elastic is quite easy IMHO. You divide the space you are going to sew it to ( waistband, armhole, leghole..etc..) into 4ths and you do the same with elastic. You can use a fabric washable marker or pins, whichever works for you. Then you match the marks and sstretch and sew with a zigzag or a stretch stitch. My preference is the 3 step zigzag... 2nd step is to fold it over and top stitch. I usually do not use a stretch here, but you can. THere is a straight stretch stitch that goes 3 steps forward and one step reverse. IF the leotard will get lots of use, as in you might hand it on down to another child, then use the stretch straight stitch. Otherwise just a straight top stitch is fine.

Thanks for that. Yes, i do want it to be durable. Not only will it get plenty of use we will be handing down to little DD.

3 step zigzag is no worries. I will just have to try out my different straight stitches to find the right stretch one, maybe it is called 3 step straight from your description??? I will look in my book.

Going to pick out fabric today :D