Menu

Missouri and Military Mamas - please help me with record keeping.

Dh is in the Army. We are currently in MO but will be here only until April-june and then we move to MD. We have never lived in a state before where we were required to keep documentation. II however have kept loos records and work of DS just in case.

My questions are:

1)For the military (and well anyone) moving all of the time, how much record keeping do you hold onto? do you keep it only for that state? a small portfolio of each year? What if I do not keep enough?

2)Am I missing anything in terms of being a military homeschooling family?

3)In Missouri we need to track hours. I have a a database on our computer that I am tracking our time, now down to the nearest 15minutes. enough?

4)My hour log is seperate from the rest of my records. Ds is using the workbox system. in each subject box there is a composition book. On each page of the composition book is an assignment. We date each page as they are completed. The instructions are clear enough for he and I, however should there be a more detailed report somewhere else?

5)is it okay, or not a good idea, for him to write down his start and stop times in the composition books under each assignment so that I can calculate the minutes worked? (he is a very self-directed learner)

I guess I am just getting nervous as we approach the years in which records seem to become very valuable in terms on highschool credit and college acceptance. I have a few more years (he is in 5th) but I wan to make sure that I have all of the kinks out and am, at the moment, feeling overwhelmed and as if I am not doing something correctly.

Dh is in the Army. We are currently in MO but will be here only until April-june and then we move to MD. We have never lived in a state before where we were required to keep documentation. II however have kept loos records and work of DS just in case.

My questions are:

1)For the military (and well anyone) moving all of the time, how much record keeping do you hold onto? do you keep it only for that state? a small portfolio of each year? What if I do not keep enough?

Me? I keep a portfolio every year, since I don't know what the future will bring. We've moved before, and I don't count it out of the future, but I also don't know if at some point we will need to provide documentation for entry into school, as again, I don't have a functioning crystal ball. I don't keep every paper. I have a 3 inch binder limit set for myself. Good thing I can put a CD of pics and scanned things in that as well.

2)Am I missing anything in terms of being a military homeschooling family?

I don't know. Sorry - I'm not military. :001_smile:

3)In Missouri we need to track hours. I have a a database on our computer that I am tracking our time, now down to the nearest 15minutes. enough?
MORE THAN ENOUGH! I am allowed to track hours, but prefer the option (in PA) of logging days. If I DID do hours, I'd round to the nearest hour all the time.

4)My hour log is seperate from the rest of my records. Ds is using the workbox system. in each subject box there is a composition book. On each page of the composition book is an assignment. We date each page as they are completed. The instructions are clear enough for he and I, however should there be a more detailed report somewhere else?
If it is working for you, then I wouldn't worry about creating something more detailed for some imaginary person down the road. Unless you are writing in secret code. ;)

5)is it okay, or not a good idea, for him to write down his start and stop times in the composition books under each assignment so that I can calculate the minutes worked? (he is a very self-directed learner)
I think I'd have him write it in pencil, and erase it myself when I log the time in your database. But that's *me*. I don't think there's anything wrong with having the exact times there, but I prefer to not divulge every little secret (unless it's written in that secret code).

I guess I am just getting nervous as we approach the years in which records seem to become very valuable in terms on highschool credit and college acceptance. I have a few more years (he is in 5th) but I wan to make sure that I have all of the kinks out and am, at the moment, feeling overwhelmed and as if I am not doing something correctly.
I think you are more prepared than you think you are. I don't think you will have a problem documenting your "school" with your current record-keeping, and when you do need to turn something in, you will be able to relax and say "Is that ALL I need to do? Whew! Easy!!!"

I think the recordkeeping consistently makes us feel inadeqate. When really, it should be somewhat encouraging to be able to go back and see what was accomplished, no matter when or how or by what method.