Menu

related to the "how old do I look question"

I will be 40 in July (yikes!) And recently I have realized that some of my younger friends and acquantances look to me for advice on various subjects (moatly parenting and homeschooling..) I am trying to figure out exactly WHEN I became the older woman who advises the younger woman. I was the younger mom for so long and now I find myself being the older mom!!!! (Titus 2:4-5)

When someone seeks me out for advice my first internal reaction is "Why are you asking me?????" Then I realize that they are 10 years younger and that they asume I must have learned something!

I don't know how old I look, but I think it is a lot older than I feel!

Any one one else baffled and honored by being the older woman? (It's just so weird. Kind of like when you realize that you are the 'mom' to your kids and no one else is! It's all you.)

I will be 40 in July (yikes!) And recently I have realized that some of my younger friends and acquantances look to me for advice on various subjects (moatly parenting and homeschooling..) I am trying to figure out exactly WHEN I became the older woman who advises the younger woman. I was the younger mom for so long and now I find myself being the older mom!!!! (Titus 2:4-5)

When someone seeks me out for advice my first internal reaction is "Why are you asking me?????" Then I realize that they are 10 years younger and that they asume I must have learned something!

I don't know how old I look, but I think it is a lot older than I feel!

Any one one else baffled and honored by being the older woman? (It's just so weird. Kind of like when you realize that you are the 'mom' to your kids and no one else is! It's all you.)

Ha! I know exactly what you mean. I started my family when I was 21, so I was always the baby of my peer crowd (don't we always hang out with families who have children our kids' ages?). Since moving into our new neighborhood, dh and I have become the senior parents and it has been a little disconcerting. I haven't completely adjusted yet.

Barb

Maybe it is not our ages after all! It's the number of children we have! They must think "Hey, they must have a lot of patience with that many kids!!" That and on top of homeschooling, I think people assume I am a patient, well-organised and highly intelligent saint (or else how could I possibly manage???) Once they get to know me they see that nothing could be farther from the truth!!! (which is probably what scares me the most.....)

But even still, I do feel a difference in age. I coordinate our MOPS group and some of those moms are so young.....

I think some of it IS the number and ages of our children.

You know what's really strange to me? My own mother calls me for advice. She cares for my nephews quite often, who are around the same ages as my children. Some things never change, and I use her as a sounding board ALL THE TIME, but there are some topics I know much better than she does.

Other friends call me often about discipline and developmental questions, because I've "been there" before, and they see the way my kids are now. Also, having more kids sometimes gives you perspective on what's a stage, what's personality differences, and what's a potential problem. They often call me for medical questions as we deal with asthma, allergies, food allergies... and the list goes on.

Funny how nobody really calls me for advice on how to keep up with the laundry. ;)

I have two "young" women who have asked me to mentor me. Then all of a sudden I realized that these "young" women are in their 30's!! Ok - so now I feel old. Time for a mid-life crisis! :auto:

Hahahahaha! I actually LOL'd at your midlife crisis smiley :rofl:

Barb