Menu

Should I travel? I've been sick . . .

Folks, I just don't know what to do.

I got sick in September with a sinus infection. This coincided with a nightmarish asbestos removal and basement repair project that was hugely stressful and a ton of work. (And it's still not done--the guys that poured the new basement floor didn't score it and now we have cracks:banghead:)

The sinus infection was low-level for about two weeks before roaring into full-blown misery. After a week of being in bed I finally dragged myself to the dr, who officially diagnosed a sinus infection. My symptoms were headache and lots of nasal issues, no fever--it seemed obvious it wasn't swine flu. A combination of steroid nasal spray and amoxicillin had me feeling much better within days. (I do not normally take antibiotics--my dr felt it was clear cut in this case, and as he is usually not one to prescribe them I was willing to trust his judgment.) I had five days of feeling almost well, then had a crazy day and forgot my meds and wham! was sick again. Unfortunately the day I became sick again was my dh's 20-year high school reunion. I wasn't feeling too poorly, even though I was not really well, and went to the reunion. (Believe me, in this whole saga I really haven't been out much--not to church, not teaching co-op, nowhere. I made a foolish exception because I hated to make my dh miss this event.)

The reunion was held at a country club, BUT what I didn't realize was that it was actually held in a freezing banquet tent!!! (This is mid-October in northern Illinois, folks! What were they thinking?!?) Naturally the next day (Sunday) I woke up sicker.

My dh's grandmother died on Sunday morning, and the whole clan is trekking out to Nebraska for the funeral. I'm still sick. Dh says I can choose whether or not to go. He'd love for me to be there but understands I have been sick. We would drive ten hours out there, stay overnight, go to the funeral and brunch, and then drive the ten hours back so that dh can get back to work asap and so dd would not miss a big speech she has been preparing for weeks.

I am agonizing over this decision. I've been sick a long time (this is the fifth week). I probably feel fine to ride in a car, fine to do a couple hours of funeral formality. Yet I also have been sick and have been laying around hardly doing anything. One other fun nuance to this is that I haven't been sleeping well at all. I wake up after 3-4 hours and cannot sleep.

If I were sicker it would be obvious what to do--I'd stay home. If it were not such a momentous event for dh's family I would just stay home. But it's his grandmother's funeral. She was 100yrs old, and she was a delight right up to the end.

Thanks for reading my long-winded obsessing. Please tell me what to do. :confused:

Honestly, if it were me, I would stay home. You need to get yourself better. I have had sinus issues and infections, and I felt absolutely MISERABLE. Stay home, get lots of good books, read, take lots of long steaming showers to help with the nasal issues, try moving around some because sometimes laying around all the time actually makes me feel worse. Try walking around the block midday. I just know that if it were me, I would not want to travel.

Honestly, if it were me, I would stay home. You need to get yourself better. I have had sinus issues and infections, and I felt absolutely MISERABLE. Stay home, get lots of good books, read, take lots of long steaming showers to help with the nasal issues, try moving around some because sometimes laying around all the time actually makes me feel worse. Try walking around the block midday. I just know that if it were me, I would not want to travel.

:iagree: You need some recuperation time. Besides, I think breathing the recycled, unhumidified air in the car for 20 hours will only exacerbate the problem. I know it would for me.