Menu

Straight into Rod & Staff 5? & Homer after WT?

sahm99

I am STILL not settled on this years program...but am determined to come up with the FINAL version these next days - my kids are getting bored with waking up to a new school every second day:lol:...

I intend on doing FLL4 and WWE4 with ds9 (4th grade), with the intention of starting Rod and Staff next year. Do you think, after FLL4 he could go straight into R&S5?

Also, after reconsidering, and given the fact that we don't do ANY narration, etc. in other subjects (History and Science), I think I will add WT to his LA-load... We looked into it before and ds really likes it.

Do you think WT2 will prepare him well for CW-Homer in his 5th year?

Thank you so much for your help!!!

I would do either WWE 4 or WT 2, not both; since both are writing programs.

Also, I personally think that WWE is a lot more narration heavy than WT. We do narration exercises with our history and science.

We selected to do WT 1 this year, instead of WWE 3 since my DD did quite well in WWE 1 & 2, and we both wanted a change. We also do FLL 3 so the little extra grammar practice in WT is nice.

We plan on moving onto FLL 4 and WT 2 next year for 4th grade. After which we tentatively plan to do R&S 5 and CW-Homer.

From what I was able to tell from the samples a week ago, I think WT does prepare a child well for CW Homer. Also, from previous threads on the same subject of grammar..I understood that FLL 4 prepares a child well for R & S 5.

I'm interested in reading what others think :bigear:

FLL 4 would very adequately prepare a child for R&S English 5. :)

I haven't used either of those writing programs, but I wouldn't do two at the same time with one child. My oldest is doing CW and R&S English right now. Adding even more writing would do him in. R&S doesn't have daily writing assignments like a writing curriculum would, it just has occasional composition writing chapters spread throughout the grammar. Those are easy to skip if CW is asking a lot of writing that day (we'll go back to the R&S writing the next day). Two writing curriculums at the same time wouldn't blend so easily.

For what it's worth, my fourth grader (second kiddo) is using CW Aesop A this year. Narration isn't exactly her gift, but Aesop will help with that. I had her practice narration, one point outlining and dictation using a simple book of Aesop fables for the first month or so of school, before starting her in CW.

We plan on moving onto FLL 4 and WT 2 next year for 4th grade. After which we tentatively plan to do R&S 5 and CW-Homer.

From what I was able to tell from the samples a week ago, I think WT does prepare a child well for CW Homer. Also, from previous threads on the same subject of grammar..I understood that FLL 4 prepares a child well for R & S 5.

I'm interested in reading what others think :bigear:

I just wanted to comment on R&S 5 with CW Homer. After doing Homer A this past summer, I would recommend doing a lighter grammar program with Homer. If you did R&S 5 with another writing program or by itself, then it may be doable. However, Homer is not hard, but the workload is voluminous. Like try a straight grammar program, like Growing with Grammar, where the child will learn the grammar and not the added stuff.

The above is just my personal opinion.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I am STILL not settled on this years program...but am determined to come up with the FINAL version these next days - my kids are getting bored with waking up to a new school every second day:lol:...

I intend on doing FLL4 and WWE4 with ds9 (4th grade), with the intention of starting Rod and Staff next year. Do you think, after FLL4 he could go straight into R&S5?

Also, after reconsidering, and given the fact that we don't do ANY narration, etc. in other subjects (History and Science), I think I will add WT to his LA-load... We looked into it before and ds really likes it.

Do you think WT2 will prepare him well for CW-Homer in his 5th year?

Thank you so much for your help!!!

The grammar in Homer A isn't that complicated. From discussions with another person, FLL 4 will cover Homer A. The bigger issue is grammar and diagramming in Homer B. Let me get my Homer core. You cover: Level 6 Verbals, Level 7 Pronouns, Adjective Elements, and Relative Clauses (including Possessives and Appositives), Level 8 Adverbs, Adverbial Elements and Adverbial Clauses, Level 9 Prepositions, Infinitives and Review of Modifiers; Level 10 Conjunctions & Compounding, and Interjections.

Because most Grammar Programs start out easy and work to the more challenging stuff I would assume you would need to study these with Homer A, or take a R&S program and do it over two years if that would work, so that they cover the easy stuff with A and the more complicated stuff with B, but you would have to make sure they had covered the skills needed in R&S first.

Heather

Yes WT2 is good prep for CW Homer. Given his age and that you haven't been doing any narrations, are you planning on going into WT1 or 2? Just asking. The models are shorter in WT1. And I would still do history narrations on the side, in addition to the WT writing.

Since you're already doing WWE, why don't you just add in some history narrations? You could do WT2 in 5th and Homer for Older Beginners in 6th. There's a lot of overlap between WT2 and Homer A, so I don't think it would be a problem.