Menu

If I were to add Latin in 6th grade, what would I use?

melmichigan

This is the question. I am considering Latin for my DD9, probably not until next year. That will be her 6th grade year by PS standard. I think it would be benefitial, she is very science oriented and root words would definately help there. :) Her grandmother took Latin so she could help if I'm having a problem.

My oldest is in 6th this year and while I want him to become familiar with both Latin and Greek roots I am not pushing fluency in either language. We are using the cards from English from the Roots Up with some Latin/Greek notebooking pages. This gives him a working knowledge of the roots and he really enjoys the notebooking pages. If you are interested I can link you to the pages.

She won't be 6th grade by age, will she? My son is 10 and has been ten since 4th grade, so I can't see how your 9yo will be in 6th next year. My question is actually relevant, LOL, because I came on here to recommend Latin Prep. But if she's 9, I withdraw my recommendation until she's 11. The first chapter is doable, but it gets very intense quickly. It's definitely middle school material.

If she's gifted in logic and languages, just ignore the preceding paragraph.

HTH, Julie

This is the question. I am considering Latin for my DD9, probably not until next year. That will be her 6th grade year by PS standard. I think it would be benefitial, she is very science oriented and root words would definately help there. :) Her grandmother took Latin so she could help if I'm having a problem.

We just started Lively Latin a couple of weeks ago. We've never done Latin before, and I wanted to learn it along with my kids, so I thought it would be a good fit for us. I'm using it with my 6th grader and 4th grader. My 6th grader is finds it a little easy, but she's getting a lot out of it...we're all enjoying it, actually. :001_smile:

I was also wondering about the age of your 6th grader, she must be ahead a grade or two? My 6th grader just turned 12.