Menu

I would NOT recommend the version with Angelina Jolie. It was disgusting violent. Really disgusting. And I don't mind a good action movie with some blood and guts, but this was too much for a young person. (And I sort of wish I hadn't watched some of the disgusting bits.)

I saw the first 10 minutes of a version with that guy who was the Highlander (and also was Tarzan) his name is (looking it up)...Christopher Lambert. It seemed kinda violent, too, but I only watched the first 10 minutes. It was on tv the other day. You might want to pre-view it, if you can find it anywhere to watch. I think there were the standard scenes of dead bodies on stakes and things like that, if I'm remembering correctly.

The Sci-fi channel has a movie called Grendal...(not based on the book of the same name, if I recall correctly.) It would be a pretty fun version. Not perfect, of course, and a wee bit cheesy, but not too bad. We enjoyed it when ds was studying Beowolf as a freshman.

I hope you can find it on the Sci-fi channel's website or on Netflix. FWIW, the Sci-fi channel is now the SyFy channel. I think it looks like stirfry, but they didn't ask me.

ETA, my son saw the version with A Jolie well after he studied Beowolf. He came home pretty disgusted with what they did with the story and told me to never watch it because it would make me mad.

ETA, my son saw the version with A Jolie well after he studied Beowolf. He came home pretty disgusted with what they did with the story and told me to never watch it because it would make me mad.

That's right! I'd forgotten--they totally changed things about the story and just flat out made stuff up. And it really detracted from the original story. I was pretty peeved about it, too. So, certainly NOT the Angelina Jolie version.