Menu

BJU Science vs Oak Meadow

LadyAberlin

Which is more rigorous? I know BJU is christian and OM is secular. They both sound thorough. I like how it seems like OM has a writing component in it. BJU doesn't though right? Does OM have labs? Anyone use both before? Also if you have only used one can you tell what a typical lesson would be like in them. (I'm talking about the 5th grade and up levels)

Thanks,

Heather

Can you get to a convention to see the BJU science in person? It sounds like you don't have a very good grasp of it. The middle grades on up have extensive writing, creative assignments, study guides, the works. I have no clue what OM is like, but we've used BJU for years now. BJU is teacher-driven, so you lose the richness if you aren't teaching it yourself or using the dvd's. Is this for you or a friend?

It is for me. I like thinking ahead. I had originally planned to move ds5.5 into the BJU 1st grade science in Jan, but then you discouraged me LOL. Plus he wants to do chem and BJU doesn't really introduce that until junior high. I'm going to just do my own mix of chem and physics this yr. But I'm trying to map out my track. Oak meadow science has intrigued me and I thought I could add in creationism on my own to that. I actually used BJU in highschool independently, but all I remember doing was reading the material and answering the end of the chapter questions. I forgot BJU has samples on their website. I'll have to go check it out.

If he wants to do chem, why don't you get an usborne or American Chemical Society or other such book and use it with him? Someone gave me one we did when dd was young that was a ton of fun. I think it's oop, so I'm saving it for my next little one. You would read the two-page spread and do an activity. I've seen other books that would work that way too. BJU for 1st-3rd is only a semester, meant to be either 1/2 pace for the whole year or daily for a semester. It's really general and you'd probably be happier just doing topical things. 4th grade up picks up the pace a bit. I wouldn't spend all that money for the 1st gr science, not when you could put the money into real books and fun things.

Have you looked at the God's Design materials? They might be fun and give you some variety. I seem to recall someone convincing me recently that it would be fun to do the series with my little one before going into BJU6. I don't think it really matters what you do for those years, as long as you're doing SOMETHING.

Yeah we are going to do a mix of books for chem and physics this yr. I'm glad you advised me to wait on BJU until he is older. We did RS4K Pre level1 that I think i purchased from you LOL. That got him on the chemistry kick. I just ordered on pbs Hands-on Chem by Carson dellosa, i'm adding in Super science concoctions, Usborne chem book, Discovering Atoms and Moelecules by Zikes, Living Learning books chem, castle heights Cooking and science, Kitchen chemistry, a Drop around the World bk and guide, some magic school bus guides. For Physical science it will be very similar with LLB2, Hands-on earth, Zikes ocean book and landforms book, magic school bus guides, awesome ocean science, and Castle heights Particles in motion. I think I may borrow the Apologia books from my mom for some pretty pictures. I'm really hoping their phys/chem book will be out early 2010 so we can use it. I know that is a lot of books, but I'm planning on using that over the next several yrs. Ds tends to park on a topic for a long time before moving on. He was stuck on the life science for the last several yrs particularly human anatomy with botany coming in second. He doesn't like to study animals. Anyway so that is the plan for now. I'm just getting a feel for what I want to use in the future. Ds has wanted to be a dr for several yrs now and last July decided he is going to be an eye dr. So we will see what he ends up actually doing, but I'm trying to make sure he is well prepared for premed stuff if that is what he ends up wanting to do. Biology nearly killed me in college. Just reading the text book in highschool just doesn't cut it for really preparing you for a college class LOL.