Menu

Question for runners/marathoners...

You *could* but be careful.

You should build up your mileage by 10% each week. Work in cross-training that will help strengthen your core (swimming, biking or cardio) and at least one rest day. That is so important to recover, build muscle, and run stronger.

If you do it carefully without overdoing it, you should be able to finish strong.

Pay close attention to aches/pains. That is what usually gets me. I have prepared for two marathons and then am unable to run them because I ignored something and made it worse by pushing through. The last time It took me a year to recover and that really bit the big one.

So, be careful and have fun. I'm proud of you!

BTW..Have you visited http://www.runnersworld.com and made a training program for yourself? If you have not, please do. It will give you a detailed, step by step plan to reach your goal in the timeframe you specify.

Thanks! I just printed a plan from that site. It looks doable. The hardest part will be convincing dh to let me run & coming up with the $ for it! :)

Thank you for that info! I'm on Runner's World all the time and never saw the "smart coach" training plan thing. I've got a 16-week plan to get from my 5k distance to 10k that looks very doable. :)

Can you recommend a good book on marathon training? My plan is:

*10k by May 2010 (Cleveland 10k is in May)

*a half marathon by the end of the year in 2010 or early 2011

*marathon by October 2011--my 40th birthday gift to myself!

Does this look modest enough for someone who is still losing about 30 pounds? (I've already lost 53) I predict that I'll be at my goal weight BY the 10k in May.

Thank you for that info! I'm on Runner's World all the time and never saw the "smart coach" training plan thing. I've got a 16-week plan to get from my 5k distance to 10k that looks very doable. :)

Does this look modest enough for someone who is still losing about 30 pounds? (I've already lost 53) I predict that I'll be at my goal weight BY the 10k in May.

I think it's a good plan, but I also think, based on my experience, that you could do a 10k early next year.

To the OP...you probably could do a full marathon with five weeks more training. I know I wouldn't have been ready, though, but you can see that that meant I would have gone from couch to marathon in a year and that would have been pushing it for me.

I started running last year in June. By beginning of Sept I was doing 5k (10 weeks). Another 10 weeks training got me to the 10k mark. Then another 16 weeks and I did a half-marathon (there were a few weeks in between the 5k/10k and 1/2 marathon running clinics, but if anything I ran way less during that time and didn't progress). I was 20lbs overweight doing all that. So basically with a little less than 11 months training I did my 1/2 marathon.

So yes, certainly doable and you've given yourself lots of time...but I also think you could do it more quickly, too, if you wanted. :)

My favorite book for marathon training is Marathoning for Mortals by John Bingham (He is a runners world contributor) and Jenny Hadfield.

Your plan looks well thought out and very doable. Just try to build up your strength and stay injury free by running smart. (Not over-doing it)

:001_smile: What an awsome goal. Great job loosing the weight and continuing on. You rock!

My favorite book for marathon training is Marathoning for Mortals by John Bingham (He is a runners world contributor) and Jenny Hadfield.

I also recommend this book! I got it after reading about it here, and I'm going to use the plan for running the half-marathon. It's been an enjoyable read as well.

If you like cross training, check out Matt Fitzgerald's book Brain Training. He really works to incorporate other cardio and some strength work to help keep you on the road to your goal.

I'm 44, have a leg length differential, and have to adjust every plan, as I need to back off, etc. With both Matt Fitzgerald's books (and Brad Hudson's too) they focus on how to adapt the generic plans and train responsively. Just throwing that out there for others who might have similar needs. :001_smile:

I really like that Smart Coach on runnersworld.com too. Love playing around with that!