Menu

NY Times on having a high school junior in the house

http://thechoice.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/06/06momu/?scp=4&sq=stress%20and%20anxiety&st=cse

So I impressed upon Nicole that her father and I are on her side, and want everything that she wants. “It’s my job,†I explained, “to at least try to lessen your emotional load and above all else, keep you from freaking out.†We hugged. It was a sweet moment. I wondered immediately how long the serenity would last.

I told dh I've turned into one of those bobble-headed toys (you know, what sits on your dashboard) - I just nod and smile, smile and nod....

I get frustrated when Nicole has her head buried in a textbook or glued to the computer screen until midnight. Selfishly, I miss our late-night TV and reading time.

This.:crying:

Edited by readwithem

I can relate to the article in many ways. A year ago (2008) we enrolled our three girls in a private school which is 30 minutes away. My oldest started her junior year then, and it was extremely hectic and stress-filled for her, although not so much the difficulty of the work but the inefficiency of time in a typical school setting. So far her senior year has been even more hectic and stressful. I definitely believe that homeschooling can help alleviate some of that stress. My oldest has complained about how much easier it would be for her to get her homework done during the day, as we did when we were homeschooling. For the most part, she is able to figure out most lessons on her own (although see my rant below about "When teachers don't teach . . . "), so for her, to have to sit and listen to a lecture can be a waste of time.

I explained to dd this summer that she was about to enter into the most hectic phase of her life for the next 1.5 years. She is coping okay but there are cries of anguish and wales of despair sometimes. I am dreading the same thing but worse in 4 years. That one is a perfectionist to an unbelievable degree. Even if she would be in school it would be a lot of work. Well at least then I will only have her and not what I have now- a surly 20 yo college jr/sr, a panicking 11th grader, and a very hormonal, perfectionist almost 13 yo and a dh who isn't home ever and is miserable about that.