Menu

Can I log the reading in WWE as time towards reading

TulaneMama

Items I log into Reading: any reader, any living book that is not part of a different category such as history or science, any phonics related workbook or activity. Any other Language Arts related item gets logged into LA, such as penmanship, grammar, writing, spelling, vocabulary. Since WWE is all about writing, I would log everything the student does with it into Language Arts. It just makes it easier.

In MO there is a group called Families for Home Education that puts out a book called First Things First. Within this book is a sample logging sheet that I have used since we began homeschooling. They break reading and language arts apart since it is listed separately in the homeschool law. However, as the child gets older and knows how to read, it really gets fuzzy how to separate reading from language arts. So for my high schooler, I just list all literature related activities under language arts to satisfy the law. Here is the link for that book: http://www.fhe-mo.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=37

I found it helpful when we began homeschooling. I purchased a new copy recently and have referred to it a couple of times.

Hope this helps a bit,

Lisa

Items I log into Reading: any reader, any living book that is not part of a different category such as history or science, any phonics related workbook or activity. Any other Language Arts related item gets logged into LA, such as penmanship, grammar, writing, spelling, vocabulary. Since WWE is all about writing, I would log everything the student does with it into Language Arts. It just makes it easier.

In MO there is a group called Families for Home Education that puts out a book called First Things First. Within this book is a sample logging sheet that I have used since we began homeschooling. They break reading and language arts apart since it is listed separately in the homeschool law. However, as the child gets older and knows how to read, it really gets fuzzy how to separate reading from language arts. So for my high schooler, I just list all literature related activities under language arts to satisfy the law. Here is the link for that book: http://www.fhe-mo.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=37

I found it helpful when we began homeschooling. I purchased a new copy recently and have referred to it a couple of times.

Hope this helps a bit,

Lisa

thanks Lisa! I will then log the Usbourne Complete History Encyclopedia that DS has been reading into the Reading slot (just need to figure out how many hours now :lol:)

In WA we are required to teach reading and writing. LA isn't listed, so spelling, FLL, WWE goes under writing for me. I put down 30 mins for reading everyday, which is a conservative estimate because most of what we do is reading and either my dh or I do read-alouds ever day plus my son reads on his own. I'm not disciplined enough to time us on our reading.

I don't think your log needs to include the titles of any books or whatnots that your dc reads. I think it only needs to be the time spent doing it.

Rule of thumb: don't supply any more information than is required by law. I don't see anything in the law that requires your log to be that specific.

Absolutely, you can record all the information your little heart desires. If anyone ever asks for your hours log (an unlikely event), you just want to show the hours though. That is how many of each type of hour logged. What exactly you were doing during that time does not need to be in that log.

I have a schedule for each day. My lesson plans are all there and I record my actual time spent with each activity. Every activity is logged as being for a course which logs automatically as a certain "type" of time. (I use a database.) I spend very little time on this, but have all the info at my fingertips. I love it. If anyone wanted to see my hours, I would print just my hours report, nothing else. :D