Menu

Need fishing advice!

We're going on vacation to a cabin by a stocked lake. I used to fish years ago, but haven't done any since I had kids and have forgotten a lot!

The kids would like to fish. The lake is stocked with large mouth bass, blue gills, and catfish. (I am not eager to catch catfish as skinning them is such a pain in the patootie but I know that you can bait a hook with just about anything.) We have a couple rods and reels, but will need to get the rest of the tackle.

What size fishing line should I buy?

What size hooks?

I remember using grape jelly worms to catch bass with success. Besides earthworms, any other recommendations?

What am I not thinking about?

No clue. I used to fish as a kid with my grandpa and he took care of all of that. I say hit a bait shop near the lake and ask all your questions there, they should be able to help you. Do you need a fishing license in your area? Each person fishing out here over the age of 13 (I think) needs one and it limits the number and size of each type of fish youc an keep.

wonderbread. Fish love it. hehehe I always caught tons of fish with white bread smushed into a ball and then burying the hook in it. I used to make my own lines. I was a kid so I don't know what size hook we had, but I guess they were a pretty standard size. We also had sinkers that were like little balls and could be attached to the line and I used a red and white bobbin just because I loved watching them go under when I caught a fish. ;) :D Have fun. :)

wonderbread. Fish love it. hehehe I always caught tons of fish with white bread smushed into a ball and then burying the hook in it. I used to make my own lines. I was a kid so I don't know what size hook we had, but I guess they were a pretty standard size. We also had sinkers that were like little balls and could be attached to the line and I used a red and white bobbin just because I loved watching them go under when I caught a fish. ;) :D Have fun. :)

I know about Wonderbread for catfish, LOL, but does it work for other fish?

No clue. I used to fish as a kid with my grandpa and he took care of all of that. I say hit a bait shop near the lake and ask all your questions there, they should be able to help you. Do you need a fishing license in your area? Each person fishing out here over the age of 13 (I think) needs one and it limits the number and size of each type of fish youc an keep.

This is private property, so a license isn't needed. I was hoping to shop at Walmart, which is about 5 minutes away, rather than go to a bait shop (the nearest one is about 1/2 hour away.) But I agree, bait shops are good sources of advice. Better when you're young and cute. Not me anymore! (I used to get tons of help from older men when I was into fishing in my 20s!)

What size fishing line should I buy?

What size hooks?

I remember using grape jelly worms to catch bass with success. Besides earthworms, any other recommendations?

What am I not thinking about?

Asked Dh. Here is what he said:

Buy 8-10 lb test for line

Buy a muliti pack of hooks (small,med,large)

--Small for the blue gill, med/large for the bass and catfish

Sluggos on a big hook work well for kids and bass because they don't get caught in the weeds ;).

Other things: a net? and if you are in a boat, life jackets.

Have fun on your trip! Fishing is dh and ds's FAVORITE thing to do!! (and since dh's second favorite thing to do is TALK about fishing, if you have any other questions, he says to ask :D)

I e-mailed my fisher-husband and here is what he said:

What size fishing line should I buy? 6 to 8 lb test should be fine for bass, catfish or bluegill.

What size hooks? Depends on the fish. I would use plastic worm hooks (# 2/0 with 5"-6" worm) with 1/8th oz slip sinker (Texas rigged above the worm) for larger bass and smaller hooks (#6-#8) for bluegill.

What am I not thinking about? Crickets are good live bait for bluegill as well as /earthworks or nightcrawlers. Also, any small lures with spinners (beatle spins or Mepps) work well for small bass and bluegill. Chicken livers, nightcrawlers or hotdogs normally work well for catfish and I would use larger (sizes 4 to 8) treble hooks.

Asked Dh. Here is what he said:

Buy 8-10 lb test for line

Buy a muliti pack of hooks (small,med,large)

--Small for the blue gill, med/large for the bass and catfish

Sluggos on a big hook work well for kids and bass because they don't get caught in the weeds ;).

Other things: a net? and if you are in a boat, life jackets.

Have fun on your trip! Fishing is dh and ds's FAVORITE thing to do!! (and since dh's second favorite thing to do is TALK about fishing, if you have any other questions, he says to ask :D)

Ok, I will. Thanks! What's a sluggo?

I e-mailed my fisher-husband and here is what he said:

What size fishing line should I buy? 6 to 8 lb test should be fine for bass, catfish or bluegill.

What size hooks? Depends on the fish. I would use plastic worm hooks (# 2/0 with 5"-6" worm) with 1/8th oz slip sinker (Texas rigged above the worm) for larger bass and smaller hooks (#6-#8) for bluegill.

What am I not thinking about? Crickets are good live bait for bluegill as well as /earthworks or nightcrawlers. Also, any small lures with spinners (beatle spins or Mepps) work well for small bass and bluegill. Chicken livers, nightcrawlers or hotdogs normally work well for catfish and I would use larger (sizes 4 to 8) treble hooks.

Please tell your dh thanks for me!