Menu

Fabre's Books for High School Science?

(cross-post from k-8 board)

Has anyone used any of Jean Henry Fabre's books for high school science - The Story of Science, Fabre's Book of Insects, the Life of the Spider, etc.?

If so:

1. What grades would you recommend them for, and

2. How did you use them? Read and take notes?

Any other suggestions? I've always loved these books, and would love to use them - just need to work out when and how!

Thanks,

I plan to do have our boys do a Natural History course in 10th grade using the MODG Syllabus (http://www.acbooks.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ACB&Product_Code=MG25x) and Fabre's Book of Insects along with King Solomon's Ring and Nature Drawing.

HTH!

We did this this year....loosely, anyway. We read the books and discussed. The Book of Insects was OK. We enjoyed King Solomons Ring more- a lot in fact.

I think with all these type of books, it depends on the kids and their inclination. Some have been a hit for us...others, not.

Hi Peela - how are you? Haven't spoken to you in a while! Thanks for that - I've just bought King Solomon's Ring, actually, but I'm yet to even have the chance to look at it!

And thankyou, Beth - I have seen the syllabus, and it looks good. I like the way they include Fabre's book along with a project of observing animals, and the development of a 'real-life' project.

Anyone have a recommendation in regards to 'Story Book of Science', and what ages this would suit?