Menu

My daughter the scientist, and the death of a guinea pig

We bought my daughter two baby guinea pigs for her third birthday, Kitty and Chibi. Between that time and now we've had several pets come and go, including two dogs that long predate my daughter, a cat that died in the pet food poison problem a few years ago, a snapping turtle that ran away, and at least a dozen fish.

With so many pets, having them finally die becomes a fact of life, and not something she gets really worked up over. It's even worried me sometimes, as when we had to put my old dog down last December, how unfazed she seemed to be. For whatever reason she doesn't like to acknowledge feeling bad, even when I know she does, and avoids talking about it.

She didn't seem to really notice when Kitty (the guinea pig) died suddenly sometime last year of parasites. But last night was very interesting. She called me almost in a panic because Chibi (now 5.5 years old, downright elderly for a guinea pig) was laying in a funny position and not moving.

"She's still alive but she's not moving!"

We told her that the piggy probably didn't have a whole lot longer to live, and that she should just hold her and make her comfortable. She did so, laying her on a towel in her lap and petting her. She did something which both surprised and relieved me...she broke down and cried for a few minutes. It sounds funny, but after seeing her unfazed by the passing of so many pets, it was good to see her react in what I think is a more healthy way.

Then she seemed to get that out of her system, dried her eyes, and did a complete 180. Now she was my little future biologist. She got her stethoscope (a real one) and listened carefully to the piggy's heart and lungs. She watched its kind of schismatic leg movements and asked her dad a lot of questions about why and how everything was happening. She kept saying it was fascinating (her word) to watch the process, since she had never actually witnessed an animal's death before.

As the piggy died she listened with the stethoscope and measured the time between when it's lung stopped and when its heart stopped. She asked a whole lot of questions and, after it had died, she felt all around its body, feeling the bones and the muscles.

Then, almost mid-sentence, she had another breakdown and I held her while she cried for several minutes. Then she put her head between my calves and squeezed my legs against her ears to avoid interacting with anyone. After I managed to get myself loose (her earrings were puncturing my legs) I asked if she wanted to be alone, which she did.

A short while later she flipped the switch again and was back to scientist-mode, learning about rigor mortis. She repeatedly requested we dig up past pets' remains so that we could see the "skeleton sculptures". This was denied, however. I'm just really thankful the thought of dissection never occurred to her, cause I think she would have been all over that, and I don't think I could do that. Maybe a fish or something, not a pet.

I can definitely see her fulfilling her dream of going into veterinary medicine when she grows up. She has the mind of a scientist and an ability to think without getting emotional (which she did NOT get from me).

Anyway, sorry this became so long. Just thought I would share the story.

post-7737-13535083042272_thumb.jpg

post-7737-13535083042272_thumb.jpg

So sorry for the loss of your guinea pig. The picture you posted looked all too familiar. We have had 3 of them, all belonging to my middle son. The first one died when he was in 6th grade, the last one died his freshman year of college. In all 3 cases it was the same scenario. Holding the beloved piggy until he/she died or went to the vet where death occurred shortly after arrival, the towel on the lap, the box of tissues handy.

We have lost many pets over the years, and losing all of them has been hard, but for some reason there is something especially heartbreaking about losing a guinea pig. There's just something about them. They have a way of wrapping themselves around your heart that is unique.

After the loss of the last one, I said "that's it". I can't take it anymore!