Menu

if you are from alaska,

We're with IDEA. Overall I think it's a great a program. I can use whatever curriculum materials I choose (they cannot purchase faith based materials of course). I am in charge and they leave me alone unless I ask. They provide a variety of activities and field trip opportunities for the kids. We have a small library. The staff is very supportive and whenever possible they hire people with homeschooling exp. They will pay for lessons and sports participation.

The downside is paperwork. It's really not that hard just tedious and they only require the minimum the state requires (an ILP, 2 progress reports, 4 sets of work samples). If you have a high schooler it gets a little tougher because everything has to be documented to show they have done the required work to earn credit for it. You are required to participate in state testing.

I'm know there is a lot I haven't covered here, but you can check out the website to get a better idea of how it works.

http://www.ideafamilies.org/homeschool.htm

HTH

Edited by akmommy

I was with Raven my first year homeschooling, but am w/ Cyberlynx now, for 3 reasons:

1. I can homeschool year-round w/o feeling pressured b/c they really only ask of you the minimum that the state requires. I do not have to report how far along we are in any subject. I do not have to fill out ANY forms quarterly. I simply hand in 1 sample of work for ea. subject per child, no additional forms or summaries needed. I take digital photos of my dc's artwork and PE activities and email those in for samples. The beginning of the year ILP form is done by them - all I have to do is tell them my plan (which curriculum ea. child is using for ea. subject). It's easy, and they offer services if I want but leave me alone if I want.

2. I can get reimbursed for orders from faith-based companies for non-religious materials; like history from WP or math from Abeka or Horizons. They take the time to look through all of this stuff page-by-page to see what can qualify. If it doesn't instruct in religious doctrine then it's OK by state law. Cyberlynx isn't set up for direct deposit reimbursements though; they mail checks which adds about an extra week to the process. Not a biggie for me, but I suppose it could be for someone else. I'm at a point where I'm going to do and use what I want to whether a program pays for it or not. Since so much of what I use is from faith-based companies, I'd be reimbursed for very little from the other programs but still have to report on my dc's work.

3. Last year when I had to decide which one to go with, Cyberlynx was offering $200 more per child than Raven or IDEA. All 3 only offered $30/mo. for internet reimbursement then, so that wasn't thrown into the mix.

Basically, all of these programs are different school districts' interpretations of the same law(s) governing them. Some programs are more strict and require more paperwork for themselves, not b/c the law requires it. IDEA is through Galena school district, Raven is Yukon-Koyukuk, Cyberlynx is Nenana, and there are others as well. It all depends on what you want out of them. Cyberlynx has never been big enough to be able to offer the kind of resources that IDEA or Raven can. I know that IDEA and Raven offer group classes; a friend of mine had her son in an art class at Raven and is talking about enrolling in IDEA in the future for their LEGO engineering club.

Sorry this is so disorganized and rambling, it's late. :)

Edited by Annabel Lee

We're with IDEA. Overall I think it's a great a program. I can use whatever curriculum materials I choose (they cannot purchase faith based materials of course). I am in charge and they leave me alone unless I ask. They provide a variety of activities and field trip opportunities for the kids. We have a small library. The staff is very supportive and whenever possible they hire people with homeschooling exp. They will pay for lessons and sports participation.

The downside is paperwork. It's really not that hard just tedious and they only require the minimum the state requires (an ILP, 2 progress reports, 4 sets of work samples). If you have a high schooler it gets a little tougher because everything has to be documented to show they have done the required work to earn credit for it. You are required to participate in state testing.

I'm know there is a lot I haven't covered here, but you can check out the website to get a better idea of how it works.

http://www.ideafamilies.org/homeschool.htm

HTH

thank you! is it okay to pm with some more questions?

I was with Raven my first year homeschooling, but am w/ Cyberlynx now, for 3 reasons:

1. I can homeschool year-round w/o feeling pressured b/c they really only ask of you the minimum that the state requires. I do not have to report how far along we are in any subject. I do not have to fill out ANY forms quarterly. I simply hand in 1 sample of work for ea. subject per child, no additional forms or summaries needed. I take digital photos of my dc's artwork and PE activities and email those in for samples. The beginning of the year ILP form is done by them - all I have to do is tell them my plan (which curriculum ea. child is using for ea. subject). It's easy, and they offer services if I want but leave me alone if I want.

2. I can get reimbursed for orders from faith-based companies for non-religious materials; like history from WP or math from Abeka or Horizons. They take the time to look through all of this stuff page-by-page to see what can qualify. If it doesn't instruct in religious doctrine then it's OK by state law. Cyberlynx isn't set up for direct deposit reimbursements though; they mail checks which adds about an extra week to the process. Not a biggie for me, but I suppose it could be for someone else. I'm at a point where I'm going to do and use what I want to whether a program pays for it or not. Since so much of what I use is from faith-based companies, I'd be reimbursed for very little from the other programs but still have to report on my dc's work.

3. Last year when I had to decide which one to go with, Cyberlynx was offering $200 more per child than Raven or IDEA. All 3 only offered $30/mo. for internet reimbursement then, so that wasn't thrown into the mix.

Basically, all of these programs are different school districts' interpretations of the same law(s) governing them. Some programs are more strict and require more paperwork for themselves, not b/c the law requires it. IDEA is through Galena school district, Raven is Yukon-Koyukuk, Cyberlynx is Nenana, and there are others as well. It all depends on what you want out of them. Cyberlynx has never been big enough to be able to offer the kind of resources that IDEA or Raven can. I know that IDEA and Raven offer group classes; a friend of mine had her son in an art class at Raven and is talking about enrolling in IDEA in the future for their LEGO engineering club.

Sorry this is so disorganized and rambling, it's late. :)

thank you, that was helpful:)