Menu

Old

I'm interested in your question, too. My 9yo is having issues learning to read, so AAS/Megawords are for sure on my radar for him, too, but I think he needs to get closer to grade level with reading first.

Re: Megawords in general

My 13yo is a strong reader, dyslexic speller and is improving greatly with Megawords. He particularly likes that he can work on it mostly independently. It is our only spelling program, though, so I can't speak to whether it would be too much to do both. I will say it usually only takes about 10 minutes tops.

I have used Megawords, but not AAS. I have seen lots of post comparing/contrasting the programs on the HeartofReading email loop. The recommendation that I have seen is to start Megawords with or after AAS3 (the highest level of AAS at the time of the post recommending this). AAS3 covers the same code as Megawords 1, but the words in Megawords are more difficult.

I recommend joining the HeartofReading email loop and asking your question there because there are plenty of people on that board who are familiar with both programs.

I am new to AAS as well as Megawords. My dd has just finished Level 1 of AAS. At the end of Level 1, they talk about compound words, which fits perfectly with Megawords (the 1st one) I think Level 2 will be perfect with Megawords 1. Hope that helps.

(While I own levels 1 & 2 of AAS, I haven't seen level 3 yet.)