Menu

Spending a year on clasification/taxonomy... need and awesome fill-in chart!

Smithie

My ds is obsessed with animals. Obsessed. For his first grade year, I want to spend the whole year studying different animals and filling in a large, impressive, beautiful chart of the Animal Kingdom.

So who knows of one?

:bigear:

Edited by Smithie

I am teaching science at a tutorial this year and recently looked for something similar to what you are talking about, but to no avail. The neatest thing I did find was the different types of animals divided into groups arranged in a semicircle. So, imagine a semicircle with the 5 groups of vertebrates on the left and invertebrates on the right in sections shaped like pie pieces. In the center were the names of the groups, then as it got larger the characteristics of the group and finally pictures of animals in that group. It was on scribd.com and looked like it had been copied from a textbook. You might be able to make something on your own that looks like it, or maybe that gives you an idea of something else. I have found the simpler the better, for you and the student! HTH!

I got a very interesting, although slightly above level poster last year from Amazon. It's titled Chief Taxonomic Subdivisions and Organ Systems of the Animal Phyla, it's by McGraw Hill, ISBN # 0-07-291786-5. It is basically a detailed picture outline using bars of square units to represent the relative number of species in ea. group, so you can compare populations by seeing how long the bars are. A pie chart sounds cool, too. I got this poster more for me to use as a teaching guide, so I'd know what I was doing. ;)

ETA: this would give you all the info you need for her to create a fill-in chart of your own, if you're up to it.

We spent a year on invertebrates and one on vertebrates. I never did see a chart like this in my searches.

You could create your own using the phyla/class/orders you choose to study. You could print out google images and put them on small poster boards in their phyla.

I did have two posters -- one showing vertebrates, one invertebrates for reference.

I found this printable file which might be of help. "The Tree of Life Chart."

http://www.bigpicturescience.biz/

Edited by nestof3