Menu

Reading backwards

LadyAberlin

Although moving to Israel might be fun and educational :D, you can just keep emphasizing the left-to-right directionality of reading and writing. Spalding does a great job of that.

Unless he does lots of things "backwards," it's just probably an issue of his being little and not yet knowing that we read and write in *that* direction and not *this* one.

Very normal...both of my older kids have done or still do this. The others not to that point yet, but I'm sure he'll do it too (as will the new one still to be born, I'm sure!).

I find it helps ds if I make him follow the words with his finger under them. Also, I got some of those free paint color samples from wal-mart, the ones with the little hole in them and he thinks it's cool to use that to uncover the letters to read the word. I also got some of them that have lighter to darker paint color samples (like all shades of blue) and write one letter on each square (3-4) that he reads from light to dark (left to right). We might also put 3 letter words on them and I'll cover up the 4th square that is hiding a silent e. We read the 3 letter word, then read it with the silent e. It's all helping with his L to R issues.

BTW, my dd had MAJOR L to R issues, still doesn't do well with L to R outside of a book, and she is now reading WAY above grade level with excellent comprehension.