Menu

Which major to select?

My middle son is taking the PSAT in a couple of weeks as a sophomore. For his future he wants to do something in medical research, but he isn't sure what. His choices off the list of majors include Microbio, Biomedical Engineering, and Pre-Med. We want to get info from schools with these options as I don't particularly know about many of them.

Assuming he gets to put down one choice for major (or does he get to choose more?), which one would be his best option to select to include them all? I'm thinking it might have to be the most 'particular' - which to me - would be Biomedical Engineering. My thinking is any school that has this would also have the others... does that sound reasonable? Or would choosing Pre-Med give him more options in general and not restrict him to Engineering schools (giving him more schools to look at and choose from since he's not certain he wants the engineering end)? Would putting Pre-Med also end up giving him info on Biomed E for some of the schools?

You can only choose one, as far as I can tell. Perhaps he should choose number 160? That says Biological and Biomedical Sciences. Or 161 Biological and Biomedical Sciences General? Then, when he takes the PSATs or the SATs again, he can put 454 Biomedical/Medical Engineering? Or the other way around if he thinks engineering might be more likely? I think you can go to the collegeboard site and do a college search and filter it for each of these majors combined with your other criteria, then contact the colleges and ask to have their info sent. -Nan

You can only choose one, as far as I can tell. Perhaps he should choose number 160? That says Biological and Biomedical Sciences. Or 161 Biological and Biomedical Sciences General? Then, when he takes the PSATs or the SATs again, he can put 454 Biomedical/Medical Engineering? Or the other way around if he thinks engineering might be more likely? I think you can go to the collegeboard site and do a college search and filter it for each of these majors combined with your other criteria, then contact the colleges and ask to have their info sent. -Nan

We thought about 160, but I was afraid we'd get things from every college that offered Bio - which is essentially everyone. It might be the best bet though... then expand my compost pile for the many that won't be of the slightest interest. I wish they would allow an 'advanced' choosing with more options to choose from such as minimum average SAT or location. Oh well. We'll live. He should be able to come up with a few to research further from what he gets.

Thanks for your thoughts.

We are considering what dd should put down. This year is her year to try out a few different activities tell help her narrow down her choices. Her interests in careers lie in a few different directions and she is partially waiting to see how she likes the activities and with one of the choices, waiting to see what happens in Congress. Her current potential interests are Psychiatrist, Lawyer, Psychologist, or Political work (not as a politician but maybe a speechwriter, campaign manager, policy wonk, etc,). (Her activities this year which will help her choose are team debate, biology labs, and 4h project in veterinary science. She has already taken a course in Psychology at a CC and knows she is interested in that.)

We are considering what dd should put down. This year is her year to try out a few different activities tell help her narrow down her choices. Her interests in careers lie in a few different directions and she is partially waiting to see how she likes the activities and with one of the choices, waiting to see what happens in Congress. Her current potential interests are Psychiatrist, Lawyer, Psychologist, or Political work (not as a politician but maybe a speechwriter, campaign manager, policy wonk, etc,). (Her activities this year which will help her choose are team debate, biology labs, and 4h project in veterinary science. She has already taken a course in Psychology at a CC and knows she is interested in that.)

Ok, I'll start being thankful that this son's interests are essentially related! Good luck figuring out your choice. It does go along with my idea that they ought to allow more than one choice... I'm sure most kids don't know for certain exactly where their interests lie... and that's before they get to college and potentially change their mind.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Political Mom
We thought about 160, but I was afraid we'd get things from every college that offered Bio - which is essentially everyone. It might be the best bet though... then expand my compost pile for the many that won't be of the slightest interest. I wish they would allow an 'advanced' choosing with more options to choose from such as minimum average SAT or location. Oh well. We'll live. He should be able to come up with a few to research further from what he gets.

Thanks for your thoughts.

You will get stuff from every college anyway. DS put down political science and we have received info from colleges I have never heard of. He receives at least 4 pieces of college related mail every day since he took the PSAT last year.

You will get stuff from every college anyway. DS put down political science and we have received info from colleges I have never heard of. He receives at least 4 pieces of college related mail every day since he took the PSAT last year.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'd best be sure my compost pile is ready... I DO want info from colleges as I don't know a lot about many in that field, so I guess too much is better than none.