Menu

Grading essays?

DD was never taught how to write an essay in school but she's worried that I'll give her 'mommy grades' and she doesn't want that. So what would you all suggest? I've no idea how to grade an essay & I was never formally taught to write an essay myself but we don't have any curriculum budget left to get a correspondance course or whatever. I'm pretty sure I could find a free resource that taught her to write an essay but what could I do grading-wise oh masterful WTM-ers. :D

Doesn't Write@Home now offer a single paper grading service? I know you mentioned lack of extra funds but the most beneficial writing course my ds ever took was the Write@Home essay because it taught "Me" to grade his essays! They do such an excellent job of balancing constructive feedback and praise and the manner of giving that feedback as weel was educational for this Mom. Maybe a single paper would get you started?

Mary

makes it easy to grade your child's writing. It's a great program with lots of specifics and clear directions as to what is expected. Makes it easier for kids and parents! There are some free resources for it at IEW Families yahoo group; there are also samples on the website. The DVDs are expensive"ish" but the themed books really aren't.

:iagree:with Karen. Rubrics make a world of difference.

Here's a great website for rubrics.

rubistar.4teachers.org

I had a hard time grading essays until I started using Rubrics. They are most helpful when you give them to the student as you assign the essay. When you check the boxes as they apply to the objectives, the grade is easily determined. I think rubrics help me to maintain objectivity and remind me to focus on all aspects of the essay: ideas, structure, style, and mechanics.

My favorite rubrics are in Writing Aids which is published by Lampstand Press, available through the Tapestry of Grace website.

HTH,

Leanna