Menu

LA questions: Primary Language Lessons/ Intermediate Language Lessons

marypoppins

Okay all of you really smart Classical ladies ;) , I don't post over here too often, but I'd like your opinions regarding LA... Will I be short-changing my children's education using PLL/ILL for LA? Is it REALLY okay to wait for diagramming and such until 7th/8th grade? I am having a hard time letting go of the public school mind-set, but I am really drawn to these two books. I plan to supplement writing with Susan Bradrick's Understanding Writing no matter what LA program we choose, and most likely we'll be using MFW for everything else.

Thanks!! :D

I think you will be just fine. I do know one site where they use the books and add Mary Daly's diagramming workbook... I forgot the exact name of the workbook but that is close.

http://www.classical-homeschooling.org

Sorry, this is the wrong site that uses both.

I can't find it...sorry. But, the site below uses both books (PLL and ILL) and then adds Mary Daly's book in 6th or so...

http://www.motherofdivinegrace.org

HTH

Edited by Kfamily
doing too many things at once!

We've used PLL and ILL for a long time. My oldest didn't diagram until 7th grade. She has only needed to diagram a sentence in school work. (putting my flame suit on.... We haven't found diagramming very helpful for learning how to edit and revise her writing. I don't remember having to diagram when I was in college. We teach logic skills in other resources. everyone has their preferences.) She did some grammar workbooks from 2nd-4th grade, but it was mindless tasks in workbooks. Then in 6th grade and 7th grade she did the MFW grammar sequence. This year in 8th, as formal grammar review we're finally giving her the tests from the Applications of Grammar book 1.

If you go with PLL and ILL I think you'll be fine. with PLL and ILL: you get grammar in those as well. You get rules of punctuation and capitalization in early years. Then in 6th grade you add in formal definitions of parts of speech. But parts of speech aren't neglected before that.

Even in MFW, you add in a formal writing program.

PLL and ILL are good programs. They have a lot of language arts with poetry, prose, picture studies, application over identification of parts of speech, lots of elements of LA.

If you're inclined toward a Charlotte Mason approach, these books can get you there over the course.

Lost Classics has teacher editions of these books.

-crystal

Will I be short-changing my children's education using PLL/ILL for LA? Is it REALLY okay to wait for diagramming and such until 7th/8th grade?

:D

I am using Intermediate Language Lessons (the Davidson revised version) with my daughter. She loves it! I treat it more as a writing program and skip the grammar in it since I already use R&S for that.

I am not an expert on how long one should wait to begin diagramming, but I wanted to share how much my eldest enjoys this book.

We use ILL in combination with Writing Tales 2. I alternate weeks for variety.

ILL adds to our LA studies in a positive way. :)