Menu

motviational/reward systems for boy?

willowcreek

I would love any suggestions for reward/motavational systems for a hands-on, visual spatial kind of boy (10yo) to help him want to complete work AND do it well. He naturally doesn't have a good sense of time, efficiency, etc.

He procrastinates by nature--which makes him anxious since his work isn't done. Would love suggestions that would help him find solutions to these patterns--they aren't working for him or me either!

I was also going to suggest workboxes. There's a link with pictures and description in my signature. I plan out about how much time I think each subject should take, with a little wiggle room built in, and then I tell my kids that if they work diligently through their boxes, they'll be done around 3:00, and then they get 2 hours of free time. However, if they dawdle etc..., they won't be done by 3. Anything left over is "homework," and homework has to be done before they get free time. So they see that they aren't just wasting "school" time but it's "their" personal time that they are losing out on.

Also, homework caused by dawdling has to be done sitting at the kitchen table--not so comfy, LOL!

Another thing I have done is to "race" my kids--I'll say, "who can finish first, you with your math, or me with the laundry? Ready...go!" I make it so they can win if they try. A timer can work with some kids too.

One more--if I've seen dawdling, I'll say, "you have until X time to finish. If it's not done by then, it's homework." As I mentioned above with my homework system--they don't like missing their free time!

Merry :-)

We use workboxes too. There's something about them being able to see what they have to do and what they have already accomplished. For the most part they are good about getting their stuff done. I have one who dawdles, he knows he doesn't get his video game time if he doesn't get his work done. That usually motivates him to get done. Also, I make sure to get the things done that I need to do with him. If he is still working after that, then it doesn't affect my ability to go and do something else.

I like the homework idea of a pp....

I recently started an motivational reward system that works like this: after my son has done his assigned work (and done it well) he has the opportunity to do extra credit work. For extra credit I have things like "Take It To Your Seat" centers, educational games, reading comprehension worksheets, etc. Each EC assignment earns him a sticker, and when he gets five he gets to choose from a prize box.

This is working out well so far - the supplemental things I bought are finally getting used, my son is choosing to do the extra work so he isn't resentful, and it's a good lesson in working for things that you want.

We're not workbox ppl so I don't know about that. I can say that I love simple and so does my 10 y/o girl. We are both procrastinators by nature and like to have a visual aid helping us along.

So, here is our method, fwiw.

I used to just use the white board, now I use homeschool tracker.

I list our all our subjects for the day. If a subject has two components, I list them underneath the subject.

As each subject is completed, we erase it (or mark it complete and it changes colors on hst).

Please know that we've tried a bunch of different ways and this works like a charm!

On the whiteboard it's simple and cheap. On hst+ it's work up front (begining of the year) and a costly one year (cheap thereafter).

Just seeing our list, knowing up front what has to be done, and marking off as we go is strangly magical. I dont' know why it works but I can tell you that if we don't do that little step, it doesn't get done.

Now, my girl is old enough to understand this:

It is her duty to b/c a Godly and well educated woman and it's my duty to give her the tools to get there. I provide what I need to do that and that includes school work. Faith life and school are of the utmost importance. Therefore, it takes precedence over everything else. If work isnt' getting done, no meet-ups at the park, football games with dad, school out days, movie nights, friends over, et c.

If one day goes by and she doesn't get it done but catches up b/f a couple of days have gone by, I dont' stress about it. If a pattern develops and a she gets into a prolonged funk (and that does happen from time to time) I have to suspend afternoon fun and keep her working. I think that's fair. If the core can't be done, the extras can't either.

Really, by now, if we keep our list going, we dont have a problem.

Give it a try b/f you go to more costly/time consuming options. If that doesn't work, then give workboxes a try.

Edited by MomOfOneFunOne

another thing . . . about homework.

If it only impacts my daughter, that's fine. If she has to miss a play date or take it with her and get it done b/t activities that's fine. However, neither my husband nor I (nor does she, for that matter) like for her to have homework in the evenings or on weekends. It kind of robs us of some very enjoyable family time. There are other things we like doing in the evening that are valuable to us (walking, reading, handicrafts, visiting, et c) that I dont want to miss out on b/c of time management issues.

If by "make it homework," it just means kids have to complete work later and miss out on some activities later, okay. But if by making it homework negatively impacts family life, I dont 'much like it.

Everyone is different, though. You have to fiddle with all of it and see what works.

I recently started an motivational reward system that works like this: after my son has done his assigned work (and done it well) he has the opportunity to do extra credit work. For extra credit I have things like "Take It To Your Seat" centers, educational games, reading comprehension worksheets, etc. Each EC assignment earns him a sticker, and when he gets five he gets to choose from a prize box.

I like this idea! I bought all the workbox stuff and haven't done it...

This is working out well so far - the supplemental things I bought are finally getting used, my son is choosing to do the extra work so he isn't resentful, and it's a good lesson in working for things that you want.

This sounds really good! DH and I were talking last week about some sort of motivational system for DS.