Menu

Knitting fingerless gloves for Christmas

I guess you could say I'm still a beginning knitter. I've progressed from scarves to the cutest little beret, and thought the combination would make great Christmas gifts. I found a pattern for easy fingerless gloves (http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/fjord-kidm-fingerless.html), but I'm really interested in actually knitting the finger holes, so they're more like "real" gloves instead of just a tube with a thumb hole.

http://www.crazyauntpurl.com/archives/2008/01/supersimple_fas_1.php With this beret, the first time I made it, I went all the way to the end and thought it was a little too pointy. One my third one (the second one became a whole 'nuther creature, but still cute), I started at about the 5th row from completion and just decreased stitches on it and the remaining rows. It made for a much flatter, more attractive (IMO) beret.

Anybody have suggestions for nice, easy, fingerless gloves? I may just stick with what's easier.

Thanks!

Are you registered on Ravelry.com? They have a lot of free fingerless gloves patterns as well as full fingered gloves, mittens, fingerless mitts but with a thumb gusset, etc. The forums are great if you have a question about a technique or pattern choice.

I'm a new knitter myself working on completing my first hat, a ribbed beanie for my older son. I plan on making some fingerless gloves for my Dad this Christmas so I'll be checking out the available patterns myself soon.

I'm working on these (the one's above "Nicholas'") for DD for her birthday. The pattern has different variations-- I'm doing a basic fingerless mitten (thumb, but no fingers)-- but there is pattern for the one you want to do as well. It's my first attempt at fingerless gloves, but so far so good.

I have made that exact same beret from Crazy Aunt Purl! It's great. I actually was making it to be a stool cover but DD loved it so she kept it, and I knit another. :)

[ I have made that exact same beret from Crazy Aunt Purl! It's great. I actually was making it to be a stool cover but DD loved it so she kept it, and I knit another. :)

I love Crazy Aunt Purl! Those gloves look like I could do that. Problem is, I'm using Lion Brand Wool Ease Chunky and am not sure how that'll translate to the pattern. I'll be investigating further...

Are you registered on Ravelry.com? They have a lot of free fingerless gloves patterns as well as full fingered gloves, mittens, fingerless mitts but with a thumb gusset, etc.

Yes! I joined Ravelry.com ages ago, but kinda forgot about it and haven't been on there in months and months. I will definitely start looking there.