Menu

Art books for picture study

HollyDay

What are some good art books for picture study (Charlotte Mason)? I am not looking for art history or even appreciation, just beautiful paintings. I also would like a nice variety of themes. I have a gorgeous impressionist survey book, but it is mainly countryside and ladies by rivers/lakes. I have Mary Cassatt, but most have a similar theme in that book too.

Thanks for the help!!

We have two that we love. Essential History of Art by Parragon Publishing (UK) has beautiful, glossy prints on each page, ordered chronologically. There is about a paragraph or two of info about the picture and the artist and then reference to other paintings by the same artist if you are interested in looking at more of their work. It covers a large range of artists but is not exhaustive. But I love it because it does not have a ton of words and info on each page...I just want to look at samples of their work, find out some about them and their style and then IF we want to do more research, we can. This book is nearly perfect for picture study! They are very cheap at Amazon. (I never find what I like cheaply, so this is a bonus!)

The other one we use is World Famous Paintings edited by Rockwell Kent. It's a large book and has more pictures and more info about the artists. I bought one for under $5 including shipping, from Amazon. This one, I cut out the pictures and put them in frames and rotate them as we study the various artists.

HTH

The Usborne Children's Book of Art

The Usborne Introduction to Art

Both of these contain some art history, but the reproductions are very nice.

The Art Up Close Series is wonderful for art appreciation - large reproductions, with a "seek and find" feature that invites readers to explore the details of each piece.

You'll also find some very nice resources at Bird Cage Press.

(Some of these resources contain nudity, so please preview to determine whether they are appropriate for your family.)