Menu

Homeschooling and moving

My husband got orders (USAF) and he's at school in Texas at the moment. We knew it was coming and I thought I was ready, but uh, no. So, I have to get the house sell ready (paint, carpet, carpentry, repair, clean...)and sell said house. Alll this while trying to homeschool 4 kids (8th, 6th, 4th and 1st grades).

I need help fellow homeschooler parents!!! To help with the schooling, I reduced our work load.

Math (Saxon) KEEPING

Grammar (Easy Grammar and Daily Grams) KEEPING DG

Wordsmith Apprentice KEEPING

First Language Lessons KEEPING

Evan Moor Begginers GeographyKEEPING

Phonics (Saxon) KEEPING

History Odyssey

REAL Science

Logic KEEPING

ReadingKEEPING

Art

Vocabulary (Wordly Wise)

Spelling (Spelling Workout)

I'm kind of putting the art, spelling, vocabulary on the back burner till we get to our next base. My question is what can I do about history and science? I want to continue our study of the middle ages and earth science, but not sure how. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Can you just get them some living books about the time period for each of their reading levels and have them do that on their own? They can use library books for now while you work on the house and then transition to a few that you buy for the actual move.

Mine are 4th and pre-k, so my little guy still needs me for everything, but my older can do most everything on her own. We are planning a move soon too, and I am going to plan to scale back and get her working independently on most everything for this short time when I am needed elsewhere.

Good luck in your move!

We do a lot of moving/traveling as well, so I understand where you are coming from. I think that I would just not worry about science for now, and have a "summer science camp" next summer when you are all settled into your new location. Build it up and throw in a good selection of experiments, and they might even think it is fun! And whatever you decide to do, try not to feel guilty. I think that is important to keeping the learning process a pleasant one for our kids. HTH

Elaine

i.love.lucy,

thanks for the advice. My DS's (older three) can handle a schedule and cross off as they go. My DD needs my presence at all subject lesson.

I was thinking the living books for history. Thanks. Now what about science?

First grader? Cover all skill subjects in about an hour a day.

Read aloud for history and science (alternate days or weeks with one OR the other) with maybe one small project a week and call it good. Take three day weekends unless the child is behind and you're trying to remediate something. These are content subjects, this is first grade and you're moving. What will she be more likely to remember of this years from now? Stressed out mom or how much she learned about science that year (from stressed out mom)?

We do a lot of moving/traveling as well, so I understand where you are coming from. I think that I would just not worry about science for now, and have a "summer science camp" next summer when you are all settled into your new location. Build it up and throw in a good selection of experiments, and they might even think it is fun! And whatever you decide to do, try not to feel guilty. I think that is important to keeping the learning process a pleasant one for our kids. HTH

Elaine

Ha you mention guilt. How did you know my one of my middle names is "guilt" my other is "worry"!!!!!

It's nice to have permission to not feel the guilt, thanks. The science summer camp sounds like fun.

First grader? Cover all skill subjects in about an hour a day.

Read aloud for history and science (alternate days or weeks with one OR the other) with maybe one small project a week and call it good. Take three day weekends unless the child is behind and you're trying to remediate something. These are content subjects, this is first grade and you're moving. What will she be more likely to remember of this years from now? Stressed out mom or how much she learned about science that year (from stressed out mom)?

Darla,

It's like your living with me and see my stress. Thanks for the advice, it is sincerely appreciated.

My husband got orders (USAF) and he's at school in Texas at the moment. We knew it was coming and I thought I was ready, but uh, no. So, I have to get the house sell ready (paint, carpet, carpentry, repair, clean...)and sell said house. Alll this while trying to homeschool 4 kids (8th, 6th, 4th and 1st grades).

I need help fellow homeschooler parents!!! To help with the schooling, I reduced our work load.

Math (Saxon) KEEPING

Grammar (Easy Grammar and Daily Grams) KEEPING DG

Wordsmith Apprentice KEEPING

First Language Lessons KEEPING

Evan Moor Begginers GeographyKEEPING

Phonics (Saxon) KEEPING

History Odyssey

REAL Science

Logic KEEPING

ReadingKEEPING

Art

Vocabulary (Wordly Wise)

Spelling (Spelling Workout)

I'm kind of putting the art, spelling, vocabulary on the back burner till we get to our next base. My question is what can I do about history and science? I want to continue our study of the middle ages and earth science, but not sure how. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I would add videos to your living books for history and science. Also, make use of audio books and recruit your older kids to read aloud.

I'd also suggest that you consider setting aside the Geography for now; and maybe alternate First Language Lessons and Wordsmith so that you're only working on one at a time.

I can relate, I've prepped and sold a house while dh had to move ahead for a new job. Hang in there, and remember that "shop" certainly counts as a class, so get those boys to pitch in and help! The suggestion of four day weekends is great -- make it five if you need to. ;)